What type of blade to resaw oak

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
OK, I am playing around with some of the willow oak that I had talked about a few months ago. These are just branches that were cut last year or so when the trees were 'pruned'.

I am going to try to resaw some of it on my good ol' Craftsman bandsaw. I stepped out into the shop tonight and immediately started sweating..., but that was due to the heat and humidity:roll: .

Can anyone that has done some resawing in their shop suggest the best type of blade to resaw oak?

Thanks.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have heard highly recommended the Woodslicer ½" 3-4 tpi variable tooth blade. It comes in 72"-137" (I am not sure the length you need). I plan to order one very soon, my resaw blade from Woocdcraft is getting very dull.

Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Marvin, I'm going to have to recommend against what DaveO suggests. Woodslicer blades are too expensive and dull incredibly quickly due to their thin gauge. I'd recommend getting a Lenox Bi-metal (Diemaster) blade cut for your bandsaw. A 1/2" with 3-4 TPI Hook blade is what you want. www.woodcraftbands.com is where you want to get them. When you get them you want to apply a lot of tension to the blade. You won't be able to overtension the blade with your particular saw. More tension is better than not enough. I set my tension by audio pitch and deflection with all guides removed.

I've used every brand of blade available so trust me no this one. :) Woodslicer and Timberwolf blades just don't do the job well. They dull too quickly. The Diemaster will last much longer and pay for the additional cost in the number of bdft you can pass through your saw.

I've sawn maple to .030" thickness on my MM16 with a 1/2" bimetal blade. I've gone down to .025" with my carbide. :D

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, that could be why I am in the market for a new resaw blade :eusa_doh:
Thanks, WG, for the experienced advice, I was just passing on info from reviews I've read.

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors