What to do with black walnut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepinmatt

New User
Matt
<Edit: Pics added in post 5 (http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showpost.php?p=301668&postcount=5)>
I just finished removing a fairly substantial black walnut from a friends yard. I've done enough research to know that I'm not sitting on a gold mine, but I believe there is some value in the timber I have. It should not have the concerns of a typical yard tree, because the lot that this tree was on was cleared in 2005, so it was only a yard tree for the past 4 years. The tree blew over in a windstorm, and has no rot or disease. The trunk forked about 6-8ft up, and one side of the fork was 25" in diameter. I have yet to measure the trunk or the other side of the fork, but I have 3 large pieces.
~23" diameter, 6ft
~22" diameter, 6ft
28" diameter, 5-1/2ft

I can get pictures and better measurements, but the trunks are on the bottom of the bed of my dumptruck, covered by the cut up limbs. What info is needed to determine the best course of action for this wood?

Thanks in advance!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I think those short lengths are going to limit the commercial value substantially as far as lumber goes.

jeepinmatt

New User
Matt
Heres a few pictures of the 3 main chunks They are all about 6ft long. I forgot there is also a 4th piece, but a limb had split off of it some years ago, so it isn't as nice. I don't have a picture of it.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I got to thinking about this more and poked around. Wall Lumber has a 100 BFT bundle of cherry or walnut in 6' lengths:
http://www.walllumber.com/special/Featured.asp
So there is some value in lumber that length, but that prices ($395 for the bundles) is about $1 less per BFT than their normal price in that quantitiy. That is also narrow stuff and what you have is wider.

Dragon

New User
David
In all honesty you may have a little "found money" there. How much:dontknow: would up to whoever is bidding n it and what they particularly have in mind for it. Me personally, I wouldn't mind having a couple of those large logs about 20" to 24" in length but I know I couldn't afford to pay you what they'd be worth to someone with the machinery to saw them up into flat lumber. If all else fails and you get no real offers............PM me and we'll see if we can come to terms on a little bit of it.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
The middle log has an offset pith, which means that the boards will have additional stresses in them and probably move a lot during the drying process. The direction that it is milled will make a difference re how much usable wood is obtained.

The other two logs appear to be ok; the bottom one almost looks like it may contain some crotchwood.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Bring them to the farm and I can saw it for you.

I am right up the road from stanley.

kyle

jeepinmatt

New User
Matt
I believe i will get everything unloaded tomorrow and get the logs laid out so that I can get some better pictures. There is a guy 5 miles down the road who has a sawmill, so I could haul it there and get it cut up for the right offer.

I'm currently building an 800sqft garage apartment on my land. Could I use it for flooring?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Matt,

I would take Kyle up on his offer. He is a very knowledgeable sawyer and can explain everything for you. The amount and dimensions of the useable lumber will depend on the tree (like Scott Smith said). Once it is cut, you will also have to sticker it and let it dry (or have it kiln dried) which will take some time. Either way, black walnut is some BEAUTIFUL wood, one of my favorites. :icon_thum

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
don't discount that short piece with the broken branch. It could yield some highly figured turning blanks.:thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS