What kind of wood for fretwork?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
What kind of wood do you scrollers prefer for fretwork? Also what thickness for really detailed pieces?

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
Hey Cathy I like to use Baltic Birch Ply 1/4" holds up well for the fine pieces & seems to do good stack cutting too! But I'm still learning so maybe someone with more exp. can help you out a little more!

sawduster

New User
Robert
I'm fond of BB ply and maple, red oak, mahogany and cherry veneered ply
I'm in the process of discovering " real " wood and have really enjoyed working with ERC and walnut lately . I'm still in the discovery stage here so there are lots of species I haven't tried yet . I'm always looking for advice lately and I am learning quite a bit from FredP and lots of others too numerous to list :icon_thum
I am always looking for threads concerning wood properties

I like 1/4 and 1/8 stacked 2 to 4 for portraits and flatwork, Mostly 1/8 for portraits as they fit better in store-bought frames
Mostly 1/4 and 1/2 for " dust collectors " ...mini clocks, ornamentals and such

What do you like Cathy ?

sawduster

New User
Robert
Hey Cathy I like to use Baltic Birch Ply 1/4" holds up well for the fine pieces & seems to do good stack cutting too! But I'm still learning so maybe someone with more exp. can help you out a little more!

I need to get you hooked up with some of this BB bro :icon_thum

cskipper

Cathy
I'm fond of BB ply and maple, red oak, mahogany and cherry veneered ply
I'm in the process of discovering " real " wood and have really enjoyed working with ERC and walnut lately . I'm still in the discovery stage here so there are lots of species I haven't tried yet . I'm always looking for advice lately and I am learning quite a bit from Fred and lots of others too numerous to list :icon_thum
I am always looking for threads concerning wood properties

I like 1/4 and 1/8 stacked 2 to 4 for portraits and flat work, Mostly 1/8 for portraits as they fit better in store-bought frames
Mostly 1/4 and 1/2 for " dust collectors " ...mini clocks, ornamentals and such

What do you like Cathy ?

I like Walnut, Maple, Curly Maple (depending on the project), love QS Sycamore, Cherry and 1/8" and 1/4" BB or FB. I don't have any cedar that is thin, but do need a really clean piece that's 1/4 or 3/8" by 12x12 or 14. I have someone who wants the door topper angel in that - though I am not sure it will be durable enough. Are you buying the "real" wood already cut to the thickness or are you re-sawing it? John re-saws most of mine for me - but now that he'll be out of town more than in I may have to buy some hardwood in the thicknesses I want. I do always try to stack cut, regardless of the wood.

Sometimes it is difficult to get a piece of hardwood without too much grain, and I am afraid it will break at fragile points. Have you experienced that?

sawduster

New User
Robert
I like Walnut, Maple, Curly Maple (depending on the project), love QS Sycamore, Cherry and 1/8" and 1/4" BB or FB. I don't have any cedar that is thin, but do need a really clean piece that's 1/4 or 3/8" by 12x12 or 14. I have someone who wants the door topper angel in that - though I am not sure it will be durable enough. Are you buying the "real" wood already cut to the thickness or are you re-sawing it? John re-saws most of mine for me - but now that he'll be out of town more than in I may have to buy some hardwood in the thicknesses I want. I do always try to stack cut, regardless of the wood.

Sometimes it is difficult to get a piece of hardwood without too much grain, and I am afraid it will break at fragile points. Have you experienced that?

I am learning to make my own panels by resawing , joining and planing . Mike Davis was gracious enough to give me a bandsaw sometime back ( he's a good guy :icon_thum ) , but I am somewhat limited by the 6" height . I have ARC that is 6" wide x 1/2 " thick so I have been cutting those on the BS , then joining them to make a 12" piece that is around 1/4" thick . BY the time I plane away all my " oopsies " ( I've still got a lot to learn on the BS ) it is somewhere between 1/8" and 1/4" thick . I've screwed up a lot of wood practicing this, but I've made some pretty decent scrolling panels too :mrgreen:

The cedar cuts really easy and clean with a reverse tooth blade and I think the door topper would look awesome with it:icon_thum Take care , though, it is brittle . Find a piece with no knots, as those are troublesome as well :BangHead:
Depending on how soon you need it, I could try to make you a panel , or get one of these 6" x 1/2" boards to you so you could make your own. I have joined two 1/2" pieces together and planed them smooth pretty successfully
I am still learning about grain and breakage ....need to keep a notebook or something .....my remember-er is busted :gar-La;

cskipper

Cathy
I am learning to make my own panels by resawing , joining and planing . Mike Davis was gracious enough to give me a bandsaw sometime back ( he's a good guy :icon_thum ) , but I am somewhat limited by the 6" height . I have ARC that is 6" wide x 1/2 " thick so I have been cutting those on the BS , then joining them to make a 12" piece that is around 1/4" thick . BY the time I plane away all my " oopsies " ( I've still got a lot to learn on the BS ) it is somewhere between 1/8" and 1/4" thick . I've screwed up a lot of wood practicing this, but I've made some pretty decent scrolling panels too :mrgreen:

The cedar cuts really easy and clean with a reverse tooth blade and I think the door topper would look awesome with it:icon_thum Take care , though, it is brittle . Find a piece with no knots, as those are troublesome as well :BangHead:
Depending on how soon you need it, I could try to make you a panel , or get one of these 6" x 1/2" boards to you so you could make your own. I have joined two 1/2" pieces together and planed them smooth pretty successfully
I am still learning about grain and breakage ....need to keep a notebook or something .....my remember-er is busted :gar-La;

I am not in a particular hurry - she's been very patient. Do you have a problem with wood you re-saw warping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors