Western NC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hill

New User
Hill
Hello folks...Just joined up and it looks like you have a good forum with lots of information. My main passion is blacksmithing, but I do find that it goes hand-in-hand with woodworking a lot of the time. Most of my tools are of the primitive type, which I enjoy using. Hope to learn a lot from you more-knowledgable folks and I'm sure I'll be looking for advice/suggestions.
Thanks for the nice forum :icon_thum

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Hill. This is a great group of folks and there are definitely some talented members in your area. It's great to have you here. :icon_thum

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Hill, welcome to the cyber-galoots paradise. I got a lot of hand tools...I will stand sroun with a tool in hand, thinking about what to do with it. :gar-Bi

Dragon

New User
David
Welcome to the gang Hill. Blacksmith huh?:eusa_thin Let's see now, I can trade you some Maple and Walnut for a nice 8" bore cannon,:banana: a couple of Medieval type swords, and I'm sure I'll think of something else,:dontknow: just give me day or two. :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Glad to have you here. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your work. Oh, did anyone mention that we like to see pictures? I don' reed nun 2 gud so I like's pichurs.

M

McRabbet

Welcome to our virtual sawdust pile, Hill -- glad you found us and look forward to hearing more about your woodworking loves and projects you've undertaken.

If you're interested, there is an active group of woodworkers here in the Asheville area that meets once each month at the shop of Mountain Sawyers in Fletcher -- it is called the Western NC Woodworkers Association and I just happen to be the president of the group. We have close to 60 members -- our next meeting is on the 12th of December and will feature Getting the Most from your Bench Planes -- PM me with your email address and I'll add you to the notification list for our meetings.

Hill

New User
Hill
Thanks for the warm welcome folks...much appreciated
Dragon, the 8" bore cannon might be a problem as I usually work alone, but if you're willing to use the 8lb cross peen to help with welding the barrel, then come on up..We may need a little bigger forge though :gar-La;

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Welcome Hill! Woodworking goes hand-in-hand with blacksmithing? I can see that...burn the failed projects :) Good to have you here.

Hill

New User
Hill
Bas, I've done my fair share of burning projects for kindling...lol
I think it's mostly handles that I have a need and my shaving-horse and drawknife usually work for those. I've always envied those who have a talent for making useful things from wood. I might not use it much, but it's a good hobby and a really good excuse to buy more tools :gar-La;

Hill

New User
Hill
It seems that he got it worked out...least from what I saw. I just kinda flipped thru the posts and didn't really see as to what exactly he was doing. I'm assuming that he was looking a way to slowly cool some stock during the annealing process, thus the use of the kaowool...Correct me if I'm wrong and definately let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome to our group Hill. When I was a Vocational Agriculture student in our small rural school, the Ag Mechanics shop consisted of a forge and anvil, and 2 old Fairbanks-Morse 1 1/2 h.p. engines. Our first project was to make a hay hook. I amde several and sold them to my neighbors. Loved blacksmithing.:gar-La;

Hill

New User
Hill
My only mistake is I waited too long to get into it. I'd thought about it many, many times, but just never took the time to give it a try. 9 years ago, I finally got started and it's become an addiction almost...I'm just hoping the woodworking doesn't go the same way, as I'll run out of room and money...lol

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hi Hill and welcome to NCWWer!
There are several members on the forum with an interest in blacksmithing. I always thought making your own tools would be cool :icon_thum

Enjoy,
Roger

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome Hill from a former Skyland-Fletcher resident. Lots of good stuff here. Look forward to your participation.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Welcome. Nice to see a local on here. There are a few around.
You will find this to be a diverse and knowledgeable group.
Their knowledge and experience are only surpassed by their willingness to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS