We gotter done! Urns For Veterans Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
The North Carolina Veterans Cemeteries are now on board with the Urns For Veterans Project. Just got off the phone with Eli Panee, head of the State Veterans Cemeteries. He is very excited about this project, and will do all he can to get the project started, and urns placed at all 3 State Veterans Cemeteries. This means we initially will need another 30 urns as soon as possible. I will call Mr. Panee as soon as we can arrange deliveries to all 3 locations. This is in addition to 10 to 12 urns needed immediately to deliver to the National Cemetery in Salisbury. Guys and gals, I'm really excited and proud to be a member of a really great woodworking group, NCWOODWORKER.NET. We are not just emulating what the groups in FL and SC are doing, but we are breaking new ground and setting the standard for what could be a project model for all the states. From the bottom of my (flawed) heart, I thank all of you for embracing and implementing this great outreach program. If you are able to set up any photo opportunities in your area, please do so. Include yourself, some urns, and a cemetery director, if possible. Good publicity is good for our great organization.:eusa_danc:icon_thum

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
GOOD ON YOU BRUCE!
Great job getting this going - a GREAT (and worthy) cause and VERY appreciative of all the time and effort you have put into this!

Skymaster

New User
Jack
The North Carolina Veterans Cemeteries are now on board with the Urns For Veterans Project. Just got off the phone with Eli Panee, head of the State Veterans Cemeteries. He is very excited about this project, and will do all he can to get the project started, and urns placed at all 3 State Veterans Cemeteries. This means we initially will need another 30 urns as soon as possible. I will call Mr. Panee as soon as we can arrange deliveries to all 3 locations. This is in addition to 10 to 12 urns needed immediately to deliver to the National Cemetery in Salisbury. Guys and gals, I'm really excited and proud to be a member of a really great woodworking group, NCWOODWORKER.NET. We are not just emulating what the groups in FL and SC are doing, but we are breaking new ground and setting the standard for what could be a project model for all the states. From the bottom of my (flawed) heart, I thank all of you for embracing and implementing this great outreach program. If you are able to set up any photo opportunities in your area, please do so. Include yourself, some urns, and a cemetery director, if possible. Good publicity is good for our great organization.:eusa_danc:icon_thum

:DGreat news Bruce; remember at our lunch? :}:} I thought 50 was a starting number, drat! it is. I have some lumber from Scott Smith, I will need more :{ After tonight I am putting my current cabinet job on hold, picking up emblems from Brad Tues PM. I will start setting up shop for full on bore for the urns. From my perspective I want to get setup with the Raleigh cemetery as my drop off point, from there they can use their internal shuttle to head em out to Salisbury. IF you can get me in contact with whomever I need to talk to in Raleigh I wood appreciate it.

Herr Merkle has gotten Molding Source to be willing to donate material also. He is located in Mooresville, I have to find out how far that is from me, I suspect it is close to Charlotte and if so that is a loooooooong way from me. Thinking maybe we need a PE to get materials alot closer to me.
Danke Herr Merkle

:{:{ Mooresville is 3 hrs from my shop just checked Maps

Last edited:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
If it helps, I live three miles from the Salisbury location. Let me know if there is any way I can help.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Big high 5 to Bruce for ramroding this. Also thanks to Jack, Brad and Scott Smith for their generous help. Hope to help out myself soon

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
You're doing a really great job over there Jack. I'll try to get a contact person's name at the Raleigh facility tomorrow. It would really be great if you could get a photo op when you deliver the urns. Because this is an on going project, the need to find lumber donors is important. We don't want to put a burden on just a few good people. Also, there may, and will be folks who want to give a money donation. That would help to fund lumber, finishes, and also fund Brad's laser engraving services. Can you give a possible delivery date? I'm hoping to hear from some of the other urn makers so we can coordinate getting them to Salisbury.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Bruce; gonna start setup tomorrow PM after return from Brad's with emblems. I hope he can keep up, maybe someone close to him could offer some help.Considereing EVERY urn needs a full compliment of emblems. 50 urns @ 5 each means 250 emblems. I anticipate rolling production Wed afternoon.Probably have enuf material for 10 or so plus the one already made. I am going to have to hustle finding more material by this weekend. I have a sawmill in mind about 30 mins away but have no idea how they will respond. We need Jack Murdock "sawforyou' to pop in here and see if he has anything. Also Scott informed me that he has connection for syp, for very cheap about 1 dollar bd ft, this may be our best option if nothing else appears. To me cypress is the bestest easy working,looks great,durable. Ivey should be contacted also, as soon as I catch my breath and get a second I will contact him. Am doing everything I can do as fast as I can.
As we produce the funeral folks need to keep track of which emblems are being used the most, this will establish our manufacturing protocols, also THEY NEED TO STORE THE ONES THEY DONT USE instead of tossing them, this will build inventory.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
If it helps, I live three miles from the Salisbury location. Let me know if there is any way I can help.

Tracy, Skymaster, and I can each machine locking corner miters. If we had the urns all ready to assemble by sliding the panels together, and gluing tops, and had each one in a flat pack, would you be willing to store some, and assemble as the need arose? Then, take the urns to the cemetery office? This would be extremely helpful, allowing us to have a backup inventory close to the cemetery. We could also apply the finish before flat packing them. And, I'll see Jack buys your coffee next time.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
If it helps, I live three miles from the Salisbury location. Let me know if there is any way I can help.[/Q

Tracy, If possible you could make the run to Moorseville and pick up the material and PE it in this direction, we can set up relays till it gets within an hr ish from me and I can meet and transfer to my truck

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
What can I do to help this worthy cause?

Maybe the Fountain of Youth isn't a fountain at all. Maybe it's a way of looking at things. A way of thinking.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Tracy, Skymaster, and I can each machine locking corner miters. If we had the urns all ready to assemble by sliding the panels together, and gluing tops, and had each one in a flat pack, would you be willing to store some, and assemble as the need arose? Then, take the urns to the cemetery office? This would be extremely helpful, allowing us to have a backup inventory close to the cemetery. We could also apply the finish before flat packing them. And, I'll see Jack buys your coffee next time.

LOL FLAT PACK I think that was the second thing out of my mouth when Bruce and I first met LOL LOL IMMORTALS THINK ALIKE ROFLMAO

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
For reference, Morresville and Rick's shop is right about where 150 crosses I-77. At the lake. North of Charlotte, but it is a good drive from this area.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A locked miter joint. I've never seen one but found a video online. A pretty nice joint that's perfect for this application.

An exacting setup but should be excellent for batching out the urns.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
If it helps, I live three miles from the Salisbury location. Let me know if there is any way I can help.[/Q

Tracy, If possible you could make the run to Moorseville and pick up the material and PE it in this direction, we can set up relays till it gets within an hr ish from me and I can meet and transfer to my truck

PM sent.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
A locked miter joint. I've never seen one but found a video online. A pretty nice joint that's perfect for this application.

An exacting setup but should be excellent for batching out the urns.

I've had to come up with a jig to keep the piece verticle and travelling straight due to the large gap in the router plate and fence. I also use one of those fancy yellow push block jigs for the other piece, to keep it square to the fence and stable. It's one of those Gripper things.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've had to come up with a jig to keep the piece verticle and travelling straight due to the large gap in the router plate and fence. I also use one of those fancy yellow push block jigs for the other piece, to keep it square to the fence and stable. It's one of those Gripper things.
Boy oh boy - wouldn't it be nice if "one of those gripper things" were a raffle prize?!!!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
The project is receiving a big boost tomorrow, Jack leg, Reggie, is donating a batch of lumber. Skymaster is meeting him to pick it up. This lumber is available to any of you that want to help build some urns. It is rough cut, but Skymaster says if you don't have the capabilities to mill it, come out to his shop in Zebulon and he will plane it down for you. Also, Skymaster has very generously offered his shop facilities if some of you would be willing to come there and have a work day to build urns. We are currently shooting for 50 urns for our first delivery to all cemetery locations, 3 state, and the National in Salisbury. The Salisbury National Cemetery will distribute urns as needed, to all 5 National Cemeteries in their charge. We'd also like to have an inventory of 25 more for backup. Only time and experience will tell us what demand to expect. The hardest part is getting this off the ground and running.
I want to thank each and every one of you for your great help, encouragement, and donations. NCWW is without a doubt, the finest woodworkers organization of its kind in the nation! I salute you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors