We gotter done! Urns For Veterans Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I've had to come up with a jig to keep the piece verticle and travelling straight due to the large gap in the router plate and fence. I also use one of those fancy yellow push block jigs for the other piece, to keep it square to the fence and stable. It's one of those Gripper things.

Here's a video that may help with the vertical jigs, etc. for alignment. These boxes are uncannily similar to what you guys are making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By1z-AI9PhU

http://lumberjocks.com/TheHarr/blog/30099

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Here's a video that may help with the vertical jigs, etc. for alignment. These boxes are uncannily similar to what you guys are making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By1z-AI9PhU

http://lumberjocks.com/TheHarr/blog/30099

That's the same router bit. I have 2, but just the slightest difference between them. My jig is similar, except I registered off the table top, and against the fence. I used the toggle clamp, but I used a second verticle piece of wood, secured by a toggle bolt and slot. I also glued a 2 x 4 piece to broaden the jig shoe. So, setting the jig in the upright position, the way I'm going to use it, against the fence, there is an opening the size of the workpiece. The adjustable front piece gives a slip fit, while the toggle clamp holds the piece firmly. Of course the bottom edge of the jig will be cut away on the first pass, part of the reason for the 2 x 4 piece, which also gives stability, and a safe place for my hand. Crude, but then those of you who know me....y'all understand.:gar-Bi

Skymaster

New User
Jack
To ALL WORKING ON THIS URN PROJECT; I believe I now have us sourced of all our material. Ivey has graciously agreed to donate what materials we need.
If everybody would figure how many urns they want to build, I can than figure total amount needed. I think I am closest to Ivey but not sure. Anyway I will be willing to make the road trip and bring material back to my place and then you can setup PE to distribute. Right now I have a goodly pile of material so folks that need, can come and get. 203 fairhaven dr. Zebulon. It is rough sawn I do plan to dress it to 3/4 be weeks end I hope :}:} If you can dress it come take it rough if not then I guess we will have a milling party at my place :gar-Bi
I have ALL the emblems from Brad. I need help distributing these.

My son just picked up Scott M's urn at kilingspor's for drilling and I plan to return it to Klingspor's on thurs after lunch time. Those needing emblems if I can have an amount, I can drop them off there so someone can PE them to where they need to go.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Wood all the folks near Raleigh who are willing to help build these urns Please send me your contact info. I am trying to get a circle of folks that we can help run these so I can expedite the first batch.
Thanks

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Yessir; workin em till I drop :D. May begin late tomorrow pm to convert ruff to finished depending how I feel after a 3+ hour drive and loading yeah i know i will start em :}, Sat all day by then I hope to have all pcs done to 3/4 and we can start making flatpacks. finished sides tonight ready for 22 boxes.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Skymaster and I have been in some deep thought and conversation about this project. Skymaster (Jack) has offered to take on the task of overseeing the building of the urns. I will still try to build urns, as my shaky health allows me. I will do everything I can to coordinate logistics, stick my nose into the public relations part of it, and continue to be a nuisance about this group. I will be responsible for trying to get urns built in the western area of the state, a job at which I so far have failed miserably.
The reasons for this are, Jack is younger and healthier than I am, and he has a heart for this project, he also being a veteran. I am suffering from prostate cancer, my second rodeo with the big C, as well as spinal stenosis. I am having trouble walking and standing many days, thus I spend a lot of time scrolling because I can sit on my really neat tractor seat stool, which is the same color as my beloved orange tractors.:gar-La;
Please help Skymaster with building the urns. We have a tall order to get the first 50 burial urns built and delivered asap. These are to cover a total of 8 State and National Veterans Cemeteries. I will do my best to handle logistics and stay in contact with the various cemetery administrators. Thank you everyone.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
My hat's off to you sawman. I suffer the same old back problems and standing is the one thing I can't do very long. I hope to build some urns but am hoping the quality of my work will be acceptable. I really enjoyed meeting and talking with Jack (Skymaster) this week. He has a passion for the project and the skillsets needed to make it happen. I'll support it as best I can.

If just 20 people (of all the members of NCWW) would commit to make one urn a month, I think we'd be in good shape.

:notworthy:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Thanks Reggie. You are probably right on target with 20 people building 1 urn per month. Jack and I are both set up to make the urns, from start to finish. My problem is my personal lumber stash is dwindling, along with back problems. But the biggest concern this moment is to fulfill the commitment I have made to the cemetery directors, on behalf of NCWW. Jack is working overtime on his end, while I'm trying to muster the western end of the state, basically west of Greensboro. Jack is in Zebulon, east of Raleigh, I'm near Hickory, or 100 miles east of Asheville..
Is there anyone in the western part of the state who might wish to come and help build urns at my shop? Or I could come to yours. If you could just cut lumber to the sizes needed, I could finish machining the corner miters, edges, and drilling, then assembling and finishing.
And, thanks everyone, for putting up with me.:embaresse

Skymaster

New User
Jack
UPDATE!! i just returned from a long drive to Burgaw and back with about 700 lbs of cypress donated to us by IVEY PRIDGEN A MEMBER HERE AND A SAWMILL'

THANKS THANKS AND THANKS AGAIN IVEY Great meeting you.

NEXT VERY IMPORTANT WILL THE PERSON WHO HAD IVEY CARVE UP TURNING BLOCKS FOR HIM CONTACT ME PLEASE. YOUR BLOCKS ARE NOW IN SKYMASTER'S POSSESSION. I wood like them picked up so I can get to the rest of my truck :gar-Bi:gar-Bi 973 945 6686 cell Thanks

This material is available to ALL head on over if you want some. This weekend I will mill material for tops and bottoms to prevent glueups which will greatly reduce the amount of time per urn. If you can handle it in the rough so much the better for me

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
UPDATE!! i just returned from a long drive to Burgaw and back with about 700 lbs of cypress donated to us by IVEY PRIDGEN A MEMBER HERE AND A SAWMILL'

THANKS THANKS AND THANKS AGAIN IVEY Great meeting you.

NEXT VERY IMPORTANT WILL THE PERSON WHO HAD IVEY CARVE UP TURNING BLOCKS FOR HIM CONTACT ME PLEASE. YOUR BLOCKS ARE NOW IN SKYMASTER'S POSSESSION. I wood like them picked up so I can get to the rest of my truck :gar-Bi:gar-Bi 973 945 6686 cell Thanks

This material is available to ALL head on over if you want some. This weekend I will mill material for tops and bottoms to prevent glueups which will greatly reduce the amount of time per urn. If you can handle it in the rough so much the better for me

Mike Davis is the man after the turning blocks. He is in Walnut Cove, just a few miles up the wagon rut from Winston Salem. We can probably work out a PE somewhere on those.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Jack, if you are coming to the picnic, that would be a good opportunity to distribute some wood to the folks here in the Triangle. Also, if anyone is interested in knocking some of these out after the picnic is over, I'd be happy to open my shop up to the task, as it's located about 8 minutes away from the park.

K

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Kevin, haven't been paying attention to picnic sorry where and when?

I seed it may 16 lol this wood be urns b4 then, I hope. Second trip to Ivey before then.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Guess anudder reason to return for food and drink roflmao

Part 2 anyone on this forum that can make a formal looking set of plans for me? Of course I will help with exactly what we are building; Reason is my commercial sales guy at Lowes said if we get plans he will go to store manager and propose they help us out.

Thanks Jack

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I got home from work today around the time you guys were finishing up yer suppers and managed to get this far. Will it play?

I'm hoping for some hi res art for the NCWW logo to put at the top of the page as well as maybe for a medallion for the front. Is the title alright or does someone have a better title? I'll add page numbers and the title at the bottom of the second page, too. When it's finished, I'll make a PDF file you guys can send out.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dave,
I will let "the experts" weigh in, but that looks AWESOME to me...

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Thanks, gentlemen.

Skymaster, don't worry about printing the images. The PDF will print better. I just need the stuff to finish it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors