Water-stone users....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Show me your stone ponds or how you store/use them. Any tips would be appreciated. I have been sharpening with a well worn DMT diamond stone, but just didn't have the grit differential to do what I wanted to do with it. So on my chisel shopping spree I thought it might be a good idea to upgrade my sharpening system a bit. Water-stones are still the most popular sharpening method, so I figured that I couldn't go to wrong with that system. I picked up this set - http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1500
TIA,
Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
Keep that old diamond plate, you will need it to flatten your waterstones.

I would agree. I use Norton water stones - 1000, 4000 and use my coarse (black) DMT plate to flatten them. I keep them dry until ready to use then soak them for 10 mins.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Show me your stone ponds or how you store/use them. Any tips would be appreciated. TIA,
Dave:)

Dave---------Nice score on the stones. I use a lidded tupperware container to store mine. It is rectangular in shape and about 3" deep. I only have 3 stones to store so you would probably need a little larger container than I have.

I do keep them submerged in water and at a location they will not freeze.

Sorry----no pics.

Jerry

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I do the exact same thing as Jerry. However, I'm looking for a better way to keep them clean since they sit in the same water all the time, and it's something of a pain to change it.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
whatever you decide be sure to have the container sealed. skeeters breed in standing water ya know.... DAMHIKT. ur liable ta cut ursef when you go ta scratchin them bites!:rotflm:

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
I keep my water stones (except the 4000 and 8000) in tupperware conainers in water above my sharpening bench. I also have a 5 gal bucket beside the bench filled with water and with a scrubby sponge hanging in it. Whenever I change from one stone to the next, I dunk both the previous stone and the tool in its jig into the bucket to rinse them off. I also use this bucket to rinse off the SiC wet/dry paper I use for flattening.
I have a green stone, but have quit using it since it dishes out too easily. I find it much easier to use the slow speed grinder to restore the shape to a tool edge, then refine the bevel on a steel diamond stone (medium), then go sirectly to 800, then 1200 then 4000. I always use a old style veritas jig because I like flat bevels and I can use this also to crown my blades if I want to.
I flatten my water stones before every sharpening operation using 100 or 150 grit SiC paper on a black granite stone. Just takes a few swipes and I know my stones are always flat.
I use a wooden holder for my stones, sort of like a bench hook, with two sets of stops on it--one for a diamond stone an done for my waterstones (all of these are the same length). I also have a cookie sheet with a glued-on cork bottom and with some shelf stuff in it to keep the stones from moving around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS