Wanted shadow box / display box plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Does anyone have plans for a nice glass front display box? I am looking to make a nice case to display a golf putter and I would prefer to start with a plan that is well designed and modify rather than start from scratch. My main concern in on the best way to attach the glass to the case. Anyone have a nice plan they can share or point me to someplace online where there are free plans to look through?

Thanks,

Jay

New User
Jay
Sorry Rick I can't answer your question about the display box. Although I think it might help if you could tell everyone what size it needs to be or what you plan to display. I had to throw this in to say I love the avatar you chose. I am a big canes fan and have been a Brind'amour fan since he was in Philly! Just wish they could have gotten it together this year.

Jay

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Rick, for a case for a putter, I am picturing a narrow tall case, similar in shape to the putter :roll: I would determine the size you need based on the putter length, add a little fudge factor. Miter the corners of your stock and either spline or key the miters. The glass can be held in place in a dado in the right,left, and bottom sides to the case. The top side would be cut a little shorter (the the depth of the dado) and a small piece of matching trim could be bradded in place to allow for the glass to be removed if broken (you know in case a putting emergency arises :lol: :lol: :lol: )
I am sure that my description is clear as mud. But I hope it helps anyway.
I have also found that a little clear silicon caulk/adhesive is great for anchoring glass into a rabbet, if you wanted to do a simple door.
HTH, Dave:)

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
You can get you a little hammer and some nice chain to hang it with. Make a sign "IN CASE OF PUTTER EMERGENCY". Not triing to over simplify but all you need to build is a box. You can miter or dovetail your ends. You can use clips to hold the glass in the dado, or if you feel that you will not break the glass, cut a dado down the middle of wood and set the glass in at glue up. You could do some fancy scroll work behind the glass. A putter or a green would look kool. But you need to be good at scrolling. What kind of putter is it? Do you have a pic of it?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Might want to check the photogalleries or do a search for Sword display boxes. Seems to me they could be easily adapted for what you want.

Go

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I know that Kota62 has done a lot of military display cases and shadow boxes. Don't know if he has done something in your particular dimensions, but He could offer some construction advice. There are a few pics in his gallery that could inspire....http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=261&sl=k

Unfortunately the photo gallery search engine is only as good as the keywords and info users supply with the uploaded pics. "Display Boxes" finds you some nice stuff in DL Ames's gallery , but I know there is more out there...but by whom??
Dave:)

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Here is a swordcase I built a couple of years ago. I can't remember how I reinforced the mitered joints, but I made a mitered box with a rabbets cut for the back. I made a picture frame for the front with thin dados on all sides. I used Lexan which I would not do again. I decided to use it because it was going to be transported from NC to NJ. The Lexan was really expensive, and you could see really fine scratches in it. I used v-nails to re-inforce the picture frame part (with a cheap $40 framing kit I bought at HF). Then I hinged the picture frame to the box and used a couple of flush mount magnetic catches to hold it down.

Amy

Attachments

• swordcase.jpg
    swordcase.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 274

Jay

New User
Jay
Rick,

I knew there would be someone that could help. Don't know how I missed the putter in your post. Going to have to read a little closer next time. Sorry

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors