walnut from steve wall lumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Went this morning and pick up a load of walnut from Wall Lumber.
This is the 100bdft manger special for $395 it is surfaced 2 sides.

I have already used 3 boards out of the stack.Widest was about 8 1/2 narrowest was 4 1/5. most of it was 6-7 in

Right around 6ft long + or - a inch or two.

Plus a sheet of Oak Plywood in the back think it was $39

PICT0370.jpg

PICT0371.jpg

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Nice Haul, that is some beautiful wood, that gets you a great big
you rock!!

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice load you got there, John. That should make something nice....what are you thinking about making??

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I think I posted this just the other day... walnut is one of my all time favorites. What kind of a project do you have in mind for this load?

Ray
[BANANA]Walnut Rocks[/BANANA]

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Nice haul! Don't make anything out of it, just look at it lovingly :)

J

jeff...

Yep that's Black Walnut alright - I'm sure you'll make something really nice with it :)

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
It is some nice walnut, but wish it didn't have the few pieces of sap wood in it. But i can find something to use it for.

I am going to make gun racks out of it, thats how i paid for my wood and shop.

walnutblue8wguns.jpg

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Ok now where is this place? steve wall lumber ? I need some Cedar wood to build a cedar chest for a lady here in goldsboro? I am going to Raleigh tomorrow (Wed the 16th) to drop my wife off at the airport. This would be a good time to get some wood for cheaper than what lowes sales any of there wood for.

Matthew

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Ok now where is this place? steve wall lumber ? I need some Cedar wood to build a cedar chest for a lady here in goldsboro? I am going to Raleigh tomorrow (Wed the 16th) to drop my wife off at the airport. This would be a good time to get some wood for cheaper than what lowes sales any of there wood for.

Matthew

Here is his web site
http://www.walllumber.com/default.asp

and some directions to his warehouse:
Wall Lumber Company is located in the North Central part of North Carolina 10 miles South of the Virginia border. The business is located at 7800 NC Hwy.135 in the city of Mayodan. Nearby cities are Greensboro, NC (25 miles South), Winston-Salem, NC (35 miles Southwest) and Martinsville, Virginia (20 miles North). From the US 220 Bypass go West on NC Hwy. 135 about 2 miles and we are on the left.

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Matthew

Matt, if you're coming into Raleigh from Goldsboro, you might try checking out East Wake Hardwoods http://www.eastwakehardwoods.com/ in Zebulon or the Klingspor in Raleigh. Both had some nice aromatic ERC the last time I was there :icon_thum Of course there always is Capital City Lumber http://www.capitolcitylumber.com/, although I think there prices are a little high, and their stock isn't stored in a climate controled building.
HTH,
Dave:)

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Thanks Dave... Hey what do you think about Stock Building supply? I bought some cedar there for $1.32 a lineal foot how does that compare to say $1.80 per board foot? (Earl told me that steve wall lumber has cedar for 4/4 1c + btr 1.80 bd ft).
I think I got a good deal, but hey I am new at buying wood in the states. I usually bought it at the base in Okinawa and it was an arm and a leg since it had to be shipped from the states. Thanks for the answer ahead of time.

Matthew

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Dave... Hey what do you think about Stock Building supply? I bought some cedar there for $1.32 a lineal foot how does that compare to say $1.80 per board foot? (Earl told me that steve wall lumber has cedar for 4/4 1c + btr 1.80 bd ft).
I think I got a good deal, but hey I am new at buying wood in the states. I usually bought it at the base in Okinawa and it was an arm and a leg since it had to be shipped from the states. Thanks for the answer ahead of time.

Matthew

Matt, that is hard to say as it is like comparing apples to oranges. For example if you bought 2 linear feet of stock 1" thick x 6" wide the would cost you $2.64, but it would only be 1 board foot of lumber equaling $1.80 at Steve Wall. Now the stock from Stock builders is probably surfaced on two sides and may even be four square. That is great and added value if you don't have the facilities to process rough lumber but also can be a problem if you get a board that's not true. You have very little room to plane it true.
But if the stock from Stock Builders is 12" wide, then it is a good deal. Also I find that the wood species selection at a building supply house is greatly limited. If they have what you want great. But a real hardwood lumber dealer is going to offer you a much greater selection of stock...you never know what board might call out to you as you walk by it, it happens I swear :eusa_doh:

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS