Walnut and Yellow Heart Djembe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
Just finished up this djembe and wanted to gloat a bit :) I love it. Did it for a friends son (1 year birthday) and decided to try some things I had wanted to try. It's the first drum I've thrown up on my lathe... wont be last!! Finished with a coat of dark walnut danish oil and a few 2 more coats of natural danish oil... The first coat was a mistake of wrong container... but I can't complain about the finish. Although I did notice the yellow heart looked a little more brown than I would have like.

Thanks for looking!
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/../pp/showphoto.php?photo=62712
Tosh_Djembe.jpg

eyekode

New User
Salem
I like this one alot but I can't figure out how it works :). Is it hollow all the way to the base?
Salem

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
Thanks for the comments... It was a fun build.

The dimensions are 20" tall, 10.75" head and 7.5" base. It's a smaller djembe, was built for a friends 1 year old. The ports on the bottom are "in theory" to give the drum some bass response as kids play these drums sitting flat on the floor which mutes out the low end. I'll be heading it up in a few days so will test out the difference with the ports open on with a towel wrapped around the base.

That is a rubber foot on the base. I used system 3 t-88 epoxy. Seems very stable. I didn't want to use screws.

The drum is not completed... this is just the wooden shell. I still have to put a skin on the head and rope it up. So yes, the drum is hollow all the way through.

I love the photo as much as the drum! All I did was used some left over drywall pieces as the bottom and backdrop, set up two florescent (screw in type) bulbs with the aluminum dome hoods. Clamped them on chairs and put the left one pretty close and backed up the right one. Looks as pro as I care to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors