Veneer Repair Wizard Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
:help: LOML just presented me with a project. Looks like 1920's piece with splitting, de-laminating veneer. I'm not good with new veneer!
Do we have any wizards around So. Wake who feels sorry for a fellow member?

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Maybe a photo or two? I do a bunch of veneer repairs. 1920's vintage would be hide glue and that is a major plus for the repair at hand.

dan

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Dan, here's some pix. I'm not a gifted photog, but I can take more!

Veneer_Job_1_.JPG

View image in gallery

Veneer_Job_3_.JPG

View image in gallery

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
It doesn't look that bad from the pictures posted. You need to stand back and shoot about 5-6 of the whole front section so I can see what this is.

If its from the 1920's it was hide glue. I see a scabbed patch in there from an earlier repair. Hopefully some hack did not use yellow glue to repair the patch???

A little more advice when I can understand the surface better.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Well it doesn't look that tough. That rectangular scab patch is UGLY. Got to go. From the large photo of the damaged area I would cut out the piece along the grain and cut out the entire piece in the routed channel. This would hid the lines better.

My guess is this is a lacquer finish with hide laminations.

Steps:
1. Get some DNA and check to see if it dissolves the finish. If it does, you have shellac.
2. No luck on the shellac, put some lacquer thinner on it and see if the finish dissolves.
3. Clean the surface of finish where you will do the repair.
4. If its hide glue, take a clothes iron, moist cloth and heat the repair section and soften the glue.
5. cut out the bad section and begin the repair.

Joe this is a pretty big job on the skills list if you want it to look good. If you haven't done this before, you might need some "adult supervision" on the repair project.

good luck
dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS