Valentines Day Gifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Just getting around to posting pics of the projects that were the gifts for the two LOMLs here.

My daughter is a purple fanatic so she gets a purple pen
100_15351.jpg

The pen is made from some curly maple that I had lying around and it is dyed with a water soluble dye.

And for Christmas I made my wife a letter opener and magnifying glass. She said she wanted a box to keep them in so I took some walnut that was lying around and came up with this. The amazing thing about this project(at least to me) is that I did all the joinery with my hand planes. The grooves were cut with a combination plane, and the corner rebates were cut with a back saw and a #78. The panels for the lid and bottom were raised with my Lie-Nielson #140 (Man is that a sweet plane)
100_15361.jpg

100_1540.jpg

100_15411.jpg

Thanks for looking,

James

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
James,

Your valentines must be really happy. These turned out wonderfully.

Do you have any plans or drawings for the box? I'm betting that's a really popular item.

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Thanks Ray,

The box is ~11" long, 4 1/2" wide and ~3" tall. The first time that I measured any of it was when I measured it to write this. When I was making it I took what the piece of walnut would give me to work with. It was a rough piece of wood and I had to cut out several crooks to get workable pieces. and yes Valentines Day was good.:eusa_danc

James

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Beautiful projects for both James. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'm not a hand tool fanatic (yet), but I saw an episode of The Woodwright's Shop recently where he used hand planes to do almost all of his jointery and I couldn't stop thinking about it. Sounds like a way more dependable and long-lasting solution. :eusa_thin

sawduster

New User
Robert
Dang man, those are nice ! :eek: What kind of dye did you use to get that nice purple shade ?
Excellent job on the box bro :icon_thum I sure wish I could do something like that ! :eusa_doh:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Thanks Ray,

The box is ~11" long, 4 1/2" wide and ~3" tall. The first time that I measured any of it was when I measured it to write this. When I was making it I took what the piece of walnut would give me to work with. It was a rough piece of wood and I had to cut out several crooks to get workable pieces. and yes Valentines Day was good.:eusa_danc

James

James,

I just know I'm going to do something like this. I do not believe there is any such thing as "scrap" wood. :gar-Bi Thanks for sharing this one.

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Dang man, those are nice ! :eek: What kind of dye did you use to get that nice purple shade ?
Excellent job on the box bro :icon_thum I sure wish I could do something like that ! :eusa_doh:

Thanks Everyone. The dye came from Klingspore about 4 years ago. Tis was the first time that I tried to use it and will not be the last. The brand is Transfast. The color Purple (Go Figure on that one) and it is water soluble. I boiled some water and added a little of the dye to it and then wiped it on the pen while it was still on the lathe. I let the grain raise for about 5 minutes and then took some 400 grit sandpaper and sanded it until it was smooth and some of the grain was showing through. Then I wiped it with the dye again and let it dry overnight and finished it with friction polish and Renaissance Wax.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS