Used A Planer For The First Time Today (Gloats)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I used some of the funds from selling the fishing lures to buy a "new" planer. I got it from fellow NCWWr Redhawknc1 (Wayne). It looks brand spanking new and it works like a charm. I wish I had waited to start my workbench - it would have been nice on the SYP boards. It is a DeWalt 735 with the factory stand and extensions. It is cool!

427725649_CqcG6-XL.jpg

I installed the Veritas Twin Vise today and drilled the dog holes in my bench. I need to get a little more chain because I set the screws farther apart than standard. It has hard maple jaws. I think I will really like it once I get it set up completely.

427725666_Edydy-X2.jpg

I have one more vise to install and I will almost be finished:

427725678_SuXZ8-X2.jpg

Thanks for looking!

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Michael, nice score - I have used that type of Dewalt and I really liked it - It was my bossman's and after I used it I really wanted to go out and get one but I held my ground:eusa_danc

Andy Casiello

New User
Andy
You'll love that 735. I've got one and it has done a great job. It's so nice to take rough lumber and 30 seconds later have a board that is that flat and smooth... Congrats! Love the bench, too!

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
It was a pleasure meeting a fellow NCWW today! And I enjoyed meeting your chocolate lab too! I love dogs!
Yeah, that planer was still in the box a few weeks ago. Those knives probably don't have 10 minutes of use on them. That was my second Dewalt 735 planer. Purchased a Powermatic 209 20" planer and part of the deal was a trade for my first same setup as that one. I missed it so bought another. Decided, I didn't need 2 planers, so passed this one on. You will love it! They are great machines! Hope you have many hours of pleasure using it! And yes, that is a nice bench! I always love bench threads! Hope to meet you again someday!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Congrats Michael!
I'm still loving mine after 3 years and it was 2 years old when I got it. My only gripe is the noise. Wear some hearing protection! A lot of folks complain about the knives. I have had good results cutting out my project pieces to rough dimension and planing them instead of planing 100's of feet of wide boards and then cutting out my projects. This method puts less stress on the machine and knives. The previous owner use it to plane lots of long wide boards and it's not robust enough to do this. Also, I have switched to the aftermarket high speed steel knives from Infinity http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1111
They last longer than the OEM version. If you grab them during a sale they're less expensive too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS