Upgrade - who does what and when.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
At the start of friday I will be the only person allowed on the site. This becuase the first step deleting all the exisiting files, etc. and then installing the primary software in the proper order must be done by one person in order to keep everything consistent and keep from stepping on each others work when the Upgrade is the most fragile. I hope that later in the day, I will be able get Ethan to get on make our .httacess files consistant and better documented. I don't Ethan yet realizes how much more ther is besides access:D. At the very least there is the SSL and the vbSEO related directives and we will want to be using more custom error pages, becuase when we come back up there will be Errors:rotflm::rotflm:

Then some time on Saturday, we will open the site to those staff members who have both the time and necessary skill sets for the next step(s).

Some general idea of what types of things will stiil need to be done.

Configuring things like Compound Miter Saw layout and creating some introductory arricles on how to use some of the new stuff. This includes the Wiki and the WIP logging capability the new classifieds.

organizing the new menu structure.

Installing and configuring many other addons. Some will have to be done before the system is brought on line and others can be done over the next week after we're up.

What Im asking you to do is send me an email woodworker@coles.us and tell me your ip address(s) as seen at IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup
and fast contact info. email phone, etc. remember, you won't be able to use PMs :D Include what you will have time to do, days, and what you willing to do.

Then in the next few days, starting on saturday, I will match your needs, interests, time availability, etc. and skill set to the tasks at hand. When it appears you can help us immediately, I will send you an email stating that we have enabled access for you. When you enter the site, the staff to do list will have tasks that are needed to be done as quickly as possible. Assign yourself one and do it. Then move to the next. AS the the task list grows we ask more of to come in and work. On the last day Monday? or Tuesday, We will enable access for all staff, This will give you a chance to see what is going on and then when we are ready to fully open, you will be more in a position to help out other members.

If you have neither the desire and/or time to work in what will a pressure environment that says if you take on a task, you are commiting to get it done in as fast and thorough a manner as possible, then just say so in your email. I will certainly understand and I will be the only person to know about it.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

ehpoole

Ethan
I know I won't be nearly as much help as I would like during this upgrade since I'm still learning your system, but I am certainly willing to help out in whatever way(s) I can.

My schedule is a little unpredictable (my sleep/wake schedule varies quite a bit). I will likely either be available all Friday (if it is a wake-day) or starting in the early AM of Saturday (if Friday was a sleep-day). I know that can be a little confusing, as a general rule I do not even know my own hours in advance as it is easier to just go-with-the-flow.

If it is an emergency, you can call my cellphone (# at the bottom of my emails) to wake me (if I'm asleep) -- time of day/night is not an issue. Just a word of warning, if I was in deep sleep, I can come across as downright drunk for several minutes because I will not be able to process your words in a coherent manner until I've been awake for a few minutes (I will know what I want to say -- and what you are asking -- but those are not the words that will come out of my mouth...lol). To that end, don't take anything I may or may not say during that period seriously because it probably isn't what I was trying to say. So, I suggest putting the bulk of the conversation to me in an email that I can check once I'm a bit more coherent.

If it is not an emergency, I generally check my cellphone regularly for new emails, so that is usually an effective way to get in touch with me, give or take a couple hours.

Otherwise, I would be happy to help out with your .htaccess issues if you can provide me with clear instructions as to what you are needing me to do.

I feel bad that so much of this upgrade process falls on your shoulders, but I also fully understand the reasons why that must be. Just know that we are all grateful for your efforts.

ehpoole

Ethan
e-Mail sent with times and Phone number..

As a further reminder to everyone.

Please don't forget that Steve needs your IP Address (or IP Subnet if you have such) ASAP so that we may authorize you to access the site during the upgrade.

Without your IP address information you will be locked out of the site (web portion) during the upgrade. You will also want to keep your DSL or Cable modem/router powered on for the duration of the upgrade so that those of you with dynamically allocated IP addresses do not lose your DHCP lease for that IP. (For those with static IPs, powering off the DSL/Cable modem/router is Ok.)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just tried the link (several time) to get my IP address for you. It comes back with a 404 error.

Not Found

The requested URL /address(s was not found on this server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS