Umm... If this is a how to... I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Whoah! Thats pretty wild.

That tip of painting the whole thing, then planing off the surface to get the letters black, that was just fantastic!

We'll wait till you have a few signs under your belt before we get out our stopwatch :)

Jim

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That is pretty much the standard operating procedure for making routed signs. He's super fast because people don't like to wait. He probably does that all day every day and travels all over the country setting up at shows, malls and fairs.

I knew a guy who could brush letter your name in 10 seconds or less and it looked good too. He could paint, letter and decorate a car tag in less than a minute then set it under a dryer for a few minutes. He did thousands of them every year.

MikeF

New User
Mike
I saw the same thing done by a different guy at the "Apple Butter Festival" in Berkley Springs, WV. The guy was there year after year at the same spot. He must have made tens of thousands of signs.

truckjohn

New User
John
You mean that's not how everyone did it?

It was pretty straight forward after reading the directions that came with my Router...:gar-Bi

Isn't that what the free blue bit is for?

Thanks

John

steviegwood

New User
Steven
I saw the same thing done by a different guy at the "Apple Butter Festival" in Berkley Springs, WV. The guy was there year after year at the same spot. He must have made tens of thousands of signs.
I think that the same guy was at the Apple Butter Festival in Burlington WV and the Treasure Mountain Festival in Franklin WV this year also. I can't think of his name but he sure can freehand some nice signs quick too. I barely get a sign routed with templates. Steve :rolf: :rotflm:

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
1st thing I noticed was NO ear plugs :no: but then as fast as he is ,he's done before the noise reaches his ears :gar-La; heck he makes a sign before I can get the dang board cut off :gar-Cr I think he been a practicin :wink_smil

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I am gonna have to try that~!

Wow that was Cool~!

So what type of wood do you think he uses? I mean that's not Hard maple for sure. Do you think it's just a pine 1x4?

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I didn't want to say anything... but I was applying for a job working with him and That's really how I cut off the end of my thumb! Jim :thumbs_up

BTW... I didn't get the job and he sold the sign too!

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I've seen guys like that at big amusement parks like Kings Dominion and Disney. They are fast and usually have a kiosk next to airbrush T-shirt painters, candle carvers, etc. If you had any skill to begin with, I would bet after doing the same thing all day, 5-6 days a week, you would get pretty good and become pretty fast. The process is all part of the show too.

D Sikes

New User
Derek
I've seen guys like that at big amusement parks like Kings Dominion and Disney. They are fast and usually have a kiosk next to airbrush T-shirt painters, candle carvers, etc. If you had any skill to begin with, I would bet after doing the same thing all day, 5-6 days a week, you would get pretty good and become pretty fast. The process is all part of the show too.

I liked the "flare" with the spray can; reminded me of that classic 80's movie Cocktail... Now if he could flip a 2 1/2 HP router up in the air and catch it I'd really be impressed!

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
Repetition, repetition, repetition. I bet if you gave him a chisel and a mallet he'd be lost and couldn't do it, no matter how much time you gave him. It's all about knowing the tool, doing it a few hundred thousand times, and then doing it again.

My problem is that I would apply that router to my head if I had to do something that many times. I'm just not a repetition kind of guy. Which just means that when it comes to woodworking, I'm always lousy.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

But I have fun. To me, that does not look like fun. It looks like a special kind of ****.

But it takes all kinds. I'm glad some people do like to perfect one thing and do it extremely well. If everyone was like me, all my furniture would be junk. :gar-La;

AAAndrew
Who's obviously in it for the process, not the product.

Glennbear

Glenn
Pretty cool ! the only similarity between his sign making and mine is the painting method. :gar-La; I use a Milescraft template set or a Milescraft Pantograph and to say that mine are produced slower would be a gross understatement. :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS