Turning more than Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
I've been thinking about this as a little extra Christmas present for my wife and in the last few days decided to make it a priority.

The vase is made of Walnut and Magnolia. The finish is Hut's friction polish applied after sanding to 600 grit.

I'm very pleased with the end result, I hope she will be too.

Now, does anyone know if there is a way to "completely" waterproof the interior?

Attachments

• P1010043.jpg
    P1010043.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 129
  • P1010047.jpg
    P1010047.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 107

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Don't know anything about waterproofing the interior, but that is a
BEAUTIFUL vase :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Your wife will love it. Where did you get such a large piece of Magnolia???

Dave:)

JRD

New User
Jim
Dave,

Thanks for the complements. Like I had said, I am pleased with the result.

As for getting the Magnolia, it's both luck and being alert.

Those who know I turn keep me in mind when they see a tree being cut that they think I might be interested in, so some is word of mouth. Other pieces have come from making friends with a guy who runs a tree triming service.
Usually I only get a small amount, three or four good pieces, so that I have time to rough them out before they start checking.

Jim

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
WOW

:icon_thum :icon_thum That is Beautiful :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I am interested on the water proofing to

J

jeff...

Great contrasting wood, I've always thought Holly and Black Walnut would be great looking together, but I think you nailed it Magnolia and Black Walnut. WOW 8-O

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I have only turned 1 and one half bowls.
Actually one of the "bowls" is more like a coffee cup without a handle.
Take my opinion for what it is worth.
That is beautiful.
If it isn't too late I would use a lacquer finish, the Friction polish does not seem to do it justice.
I know it isn't worth a dam on pens.
HAve you ever tried Micro mesh?

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Jim
How big is the piece? I am building a steady rest now so I can try some hollow form work. Now I need to find some of that Magnolia for some future project I like the look :icon_thum

JRD

New User
Jim
Nick,

Having a Midi Lathe I'm limited on the sizes of objects that I can turn. This particular vase is about 10 or 11 inches in height, 8 or nine in width.

I have no hollowing tools so hollowing it was a major undertaking. Essentially, I just used a bowl gouge, large spindle gouge and finally scrapers to work away at the hollow form. Slowly but surely it took a while, and I actually had the piece come off once during the process.

Without the proper tools I was not able to get a uniform wall thickness. I wish I could have but at times we have to live with the limtations we have.
All in all, I believe it turned out very well.

Jim

MarkW

New User
Mark
All in all it turned out much much better than well. It's a beautiful piece of workmanship. I wish I knew how to seal the interior completely, but i'm also sure someone will speak up.

Thats a great gift, I bet she will be very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS