Turning class with Bill Wallace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
In the past, I have taken 2 classes with Bill and his brother, Jim, at the(GASP) NC State Craft Center. Can you imagine a true blue Tar Heel on that campus. I also took a class with just Bill at the Duke Univ (double gasp) craft center. Things were definitely going from bad to worse as far as location was concerned. This afternoon, I start a class at Alamance Community College in Graham with the brothers. Locale is certainly getting to be more friendly. And free tuition for seniors isn't too bad either. Another benefit for hanging around this ole world for a while. I hope to get into hollow form turning sometime during the next 6 weeks. Many of you know Bill, and have taken his classes. For those who don't know him he is the only turner in the Village of Yesteryear at the state fair each year so maybe some have seen him there. He and Brother Sawduster could have a "Who's got the bushier beard" contest. Will post more as the class progresses.

Now a note to the mods. I know this is supposed to be a hugfest site with nothing posted that might cause controversy and hurt feelings. The above comments about those two fine (uh, can't believe I said that) institutions of higher learning in Raleigh and Durham were said in jest. Remember, this is Tobacco Rd. and it is basketball season. Another thing, this isn't a BBQ thread so maybe it will not considered to be offensive. :gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La; You did see those smileys I hope.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I can attest to the Wallace Brothers.

Bill invited me out to his shop in Wake Forest to help when I was designing that big bowl lathe I made 2 years ago.

My father has been a member of the Allamance Community College Wallace Clubhouse for 3 years. He goes every week, and loves it.

I'll try to remember to post when the Studio Tour happens. Bill and Jim put their shop on the tour, its a really fun place.

Jim

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Oh man I am jealous. Bill rocks at woodturning and teaching. I wish that I was closer to take advantage of that sweet deal. I am looking forward to the reopening of the NC State Crafts Center this year.

I have love for Carolina and NC State (how many times have you heard that) but I'm not sure that I could stomach a turning workshop at Duke!?! That sick feeling in your belly just from the local and then watching all of that wood spinning around. I'll pass. :sad4:

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Jim, what is your dad's name amd what time is the class he takes. There is one at 3 PM and 7 PM. I'll be in the 3 PM class.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Oh man I am jealous. Bill rocks at woodturning and teaching. I wish that I was closer to take advantage of that sweet deal. I am looking forward to the reopening of the NC State Crafts Center this year.

I have love for Carolina and NC State (how many times have you heard that) but I'm not sure that I could stomach a turning workshop at Duke!?! That sick feeling in your belly just from the local and then watching all of that wood spinning around. I'll pass. :sad4:

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey, you grew up in the same town as the Uiniversity of NJ, errrrr....I mean Duke. How can you be like that ? :gar-La;

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Man. you suck!!!!:wtongue: I really wanted to take the 7pm class, but Alamance is just way to far a Dr. I would love to take his weekend class at his studio, just can't cough up the dough right now. Still trying to pay for some of my recent gloats!!1

DavidF

New User
David
In the past, I have taken 2 classes with Bill and his brother, Jim, at the(GASP) NC State Craft Center. Can you imagine a true blue Tar Heel on that campus. I also took a class with just Bill at the Duke Univ (double gasp) craft center. Things were definitely going from bad to worse as far as location was concerned. This afternoon, I start a class at Alamance Community College in Graham with the brothers. Locale is certainly getting to be more friendly. And free tuition for seniors isn't too bad either. Another benefit for hanging around this ole world for a while. I hope to get into hollow form turning sometime during the next 6 weeks. Many of you know Bill, and have taken his classes. For those who don't know him he is the only turner in the Village of Yesteryear at the state fair each year so maybe some have seen him there. He and Brother Sawduster could have a "Who's got the bushier beard" contest. Will post more as the class progresses.

Now a note to the mods. I know this is supposed to be a hugfest site with nothing posted that might cause controversy and hurt feelings. The above comments about those two fine (uh, can't believe I said that) institutions of higher learning in Raleigh and Durham were said in jest. Remember, this is Tobacco Rd. and it is basketball season. Another thing, this isn't a BBQ thread so maybe it will not considered to be offensive. :gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La; You did see those smileys I hope.

Hi Stuart, can you please tell more about the classes in Alamance? That is pretty close to me and I would love to take some turning classes.

TIA

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Hi Stuart, can you please tell more about the classes in Alamance? That is pretty close to me and I would love to take some turning classes.

TIA

David, there are two classes beginning somewhere around the end of April (again, 3 & 7 PM). The afternoon class is the less crowed. Today was the first of 8 classes and they were about 10-12 people in it. There are maybe 8 lathes so you have to share but that did not present a problem. The tuition is $65 (what a steal) but for seniors 55 and over their is no tuition (an even better deal). There is a wide range of experience in the class. Bill told me a couple of weeks ago that some of the guys have been in the class for 15 years. They are either slow learners or they like the comaraderie and I would assume it is the latter. There were only two people in the class less than age 55 and I was the only new guy in the class so I expect the same folks continue to come for the fellowship. I imagine I will continue to take the classes for the forseeable future. David, I will try to find the website of telephone number for you. I think I got the info by googling Alamance Community College. Hope things work out so you can attend.

I had cut a bowl blank from some of the sweetgum I got from FredP (thanks to ScottM) a few weeks ago. It is green and cuts like a dream. I had almost completely roughed out the bowl and looked up as someone approached me and BAM, I had a catch that cracked the bowl. Does anyone need any firewood. Oh well, I have an ample supply of gum so nothing was lost but a little time.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Jim, what is your dad's name amd what time is the class he takes. There is one at 3 PM and 7 PM. I'll be in the 3 PM class.

I checked with my dad, he goes to the 3pm.

His name is George.

Give him a hard time :)

Jim

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I thought some of you turners may enjoy this project from Bill's class at ACC. My wife needed a peace pole for a project with her Masters program at UNCG and we turned one from a 10" cedar tree using two lathes placed back to back. Bill supervised and we were successful as a class to make an 8' totem pole complete with a 10" captured ring!

peace002.jpg

peace007.jpg

peace013.jpg

peace018.jpg

peace029.jpg

peace037.jpg

peace051.jpg

DavidF

New User
David
That is great!! nobody said it can't be done, and that's even better.... Says a lot about the Delta lathes too. Well done all concerned..

dmann

New User
David
I took the Alamance class last year this time. Because I was driving from Durham I could only make the 7pm class every other week but it was well worth the money.

I recognize some of the classmates and instructor from the above pics. I learned more talking to all of them (instructor and students alike) in 3 hours than I did reading turning books for a month.

And if you go bring some wood to share -- there are newbies that don't have easy access to wood and there are some old timers that often have wood to trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS