Turned another pen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
This pen is bloodwood and I really like the color on it. It was real nice to work with and I really like the grain. The finish is Mylands High Build Friction Polish and it is glass smooth.

This was made specifically for LOML and she loves it. Whadya think?

P10100034.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I love it. We have to get you going with a CA finish. Friction polishes aren't worthy of your fine turnings.
Maybe someone can bring a mini lathe to the picnic and we can do a little pen turning/finishing demo :dontknow:

Dave:)

MikeH

New User
Mike
I love it. We have to get you going with a CA finish. Friction polishes aren't worthy of your fine turnings.
Maybe someone can bring a mini lathe to the picnic and we can do a little pen turning/finishing demo :dontknow:

Hey Dave. Thanks for the compliment. My wife specifically requested that I not put a CA finish on it. I took a piece of the black walnut from the 1st lumber run in Raleigh and turned a small piece. I experimented with the CA and I was amazed at how glassy smooth it turns out. Especially when it is micromeshed. I'll be doing a few more pens this week and I'll post the first CA finish for your critique. Ok?

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Overall a nice pen but the blood wood doesn't appear that red on my screen,perhaps it is red heart?
The Mylands high build is a nice finish but I believe it is shelac based the same as Krystal coat.It will wear off in the long run.
Ca finishes are highly over rated.
It is a hard clear plastic coating and people are like fish, they like shiny things.
A built up lacquer finish shows the soul of the wood.
Ca doesn't come close.
My personal opinion.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Overall a nice pen but the blood wood doesn't appear that red on my screen,perhaps it is red heart?
The Mylands high build is a nice finish but I believe it is shelac based the same as Krystal coat.It will wear off in the long run.
Ca finishes are highly over rated.
It is a hard clear plastic coating and people are like fish, they like shiny things.
A built up lacquer finish shows the soul of the wood.
Ca doesn't come close.
My personal opinion.

Eagle I respect your opinion and input. Thanks! :) I bought the blank from Woodcraft and it said blood wood. They could have made a mistake. The color is much richer in person. I don't have a real photo booth and I think the flash washes out the color. I've actually been tempted to just leave the wood natural. Have you ever done that?

nelsone

New User
Ed
Mike, the flash will wash out the color. If you can get a pic in the daylight without the flash, it will show better. The pen looks real nice. I gotta find time to spin one soon!

Eagle, I have been using the Mylands as well. It is nice because you can pull the finished product off the lathe real quick and I can run show LOML what I have done! How long does the laquer take and how many coats do you usually use?

MikeH

New User
Mike
Mike, the flash will wash out the color. If you can get a pic in the daylight without the flash, it will show better. The pen looks real nice. I gotta find time to spin one soon!

Eagle, I have been using the Mylands as well. It is nice because you can pull the finished product off the lathe real quick and I can run show LOML what I have done! How long does the laquer take and how many coats do you usually use?

I'll take a daylight picture of it and post tonight. I also turned a cocobolo pen last night and I'll post a pic of it tonight as well. :eusa_danc Did you notice the new avatar?

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Mike,

That is a beautiful pen.

As a non-turner so far, I would like to second Dave's suggestion for a pen turning demonstration at the picnic.

Amy

MikeH

New User
Mike
Mike,

That is a beautiful pen.

As a non-turner so far, I would like to second Dave's suggestion for a pen turning demonstration at the picnic.

Amy

Thanks Amy! It is very addictive. If you're not careful you'll end up looking like my avatar. I think Dave should do it since he suggested it. ;-) Plus he lives close to the lake.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, I would love to do a pen demo, but there is no chance that I could bring my lathe, it's about 300 lbs. If someone with a mini would be willing to bring it I would be more than happy to do the rest.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Mike, I would love to do a pen demo, but there is no chance that I could bring my lathe, it's about 300 lbs. If someone with a mini would be willing to bring it I would be more than happy to do the rest.

300lbs could be a little tough to tote around. Surely someone in the Raleigh area has a mini they can bring.

sapwood

New User
Roger
This was made specifically for LOML and she loves it. Whadya think?

If LOYL likes it, it is a stunning success! Of course I like it too :icon_thum
Besides, it is a joy to see the exuberance wood whirling brings you folks :lol:

Roger

MikeH

New User
Mike
If LOYL likes it, it is a stunning success! Of course I like it too :icon_thum
Besides, it is a joy to see the exuberance wood whirling brings you folks :lol:

Roger

Thanks Roger. She loves it. It's a whole lot of fun!!! :eusa_danc I work with charlie s and I've convinced him that he needs to try turning pens. We took a trip to Woodcraft at lunch and he bought everything he needs to start turning pens. :eusa_clap :eusa_danc :eusa_clap

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Eagle I respect your opinion and input. Thanks! :) I bought the blank from Woodcraft and it said blood wood. They could have made a mistake. The color is much richer in person. I don't have a real photo booth and I think the flash washes out the color. I've actually been tempted to just leave the wood natural. Have you ever done that?
I rarely buy precut blanks.
I recently got some GREAT DEEP RED bloodwoodat the Charlotte Klingspr.
It is rough cut so it was a generous full inch.
I don't buy planed stock if I can help it.You'll be amazed at how much you can save whenyou buy lumber instead of blanks.
Aslo you have the option of cutting in different orientations .
Those who sell precut blanks want the most blanks from a ppiece of stock,I am more interested in getting the best looking.
Take a piece of stock ,cut it straight grained turn a "dowel" sand and finish as you would a pen.
Take the same species of stock and cut it on the bias.
Turn a "dowel"(remember to stabilize with CA as you go and use scray shrap tools) sand and finish the same as you did on the first piece.
Compare two.
The proof is in the finished product.You will find yourself turning more "angle cut stock and let those who have money to burn buy precut blanks.
You will have the more interesting finished pen.
(If you turn your "experiment" to a 3/4 dia you will still be able to make a pen out of it.Nothing wasted)

I have left some "natural", ebony is a good example but it still needs a protective coat.
For that I use TSW.
If you are going to use Mylands high build polish, use their cellulse sanding sealer first and their 3 step method.
3 coats of sealer(put on like a fristion polish) 3 coats of high build polish(friction application) and 3 coats of carnaube wax.
Let cool between applications.
It will "mimic a CA finish but give you more "depth"

MikeH

New User
Mike
I rarely buy precut blanks.
I recently got some GREAT DEEP RED bloodwoodat the Charlotte Klingspr.
It is rough cut so it was a generous full inch.
I don't buy planed stock if I can help it.You'll be amazed at how much you can save whenyou buy lumber instead of blanks.
Aslo you have the option of cutting in different orientations .
Those who sell precut blanks want the most blanks from a ppiece of stock,I am more interested in getting the best looking.
Take a piece of stock ,cut it straight grained turn a "dowel" sand and finish as you would a pen.
Take the same species of stock and cut it on the bias.
Turn a "dowel"(remember to stabilize with CA as you go and use scray shrap tools) sand and finish the same as you did on the first piece.
Compare two.
The proof is in the finished product.You will find yourself turning more "angle cut stock and let those who have money to burn buy precut blanks.
You will have the more interesting finished pen.
(If you turn your "experiment" to a 3/4 dia you will still be able to make a pen out of it.Nothing wasted)

I have left some "natural", ebony is a good example but it still needs a protective coat.
For that I use TSW.
If you are going to use Mylands high build polish, use their cellulse sanding sealer first and their 3 step method.
3 coats of sealer(put on like a fristion polish) 3 coats of high build polish(friction application) and 3 coats of carnaube wax.
Let cool between applications.
It will "mimic a CA finish but give you more "depth"

That's awesome Eagle. Thanks for the info. To your point on buying lumber I just did that yesterday. I can buy one precut bloodwood pen blank for $1.75, but I bought a 2"x2"x24" piece for $14. I thought that was a pretty good deal. If I cut it straight grained I can get 16 blanks or I can change the cut if I want.

Duly noted on the 3 step process with the Mylands.

Thanks again!

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
The 2X2 is a better deal than a blank, but look into rough stock.
What you bought was"turning" tock cheaper than pen blank blank prices.
Look into 1x stock or rough cut.
You are paying premium for the 2" width.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS