Treadle lathe update 2: I made the wheel go round

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
It's been a while since I made an update, but I have made progress. I got the basics of the lathe handed through Carved Tones. I thin I was at least the 4th owner of this thing. I cleaned up the joints and stabilized some things, but wanted something a bit more modern for the spindle. I went through Grizzly's online parts trying to find a good spindle. I had picked out one and ordered it, but after 8 weeks it still wasn't in stock and I had been burned once by their expected date. I did a little googling and found a guy who had the exact same idea. He had the part number of an old model which Grizzly still stocked parts for. I called and sure enough it was in stock. I them bought the rest of the mounting bearings and shafts. I have now mounted the flywheel and did a quick and dirty mount on the treadle. Just enough to make the wheel go round.

IMG_20110601_200546.jpg

View image in gallery

There's a bit too much swing in the treadle so I will try to shorten that, but it works pretty well. The pillow block bearings (I did realize how big they are through the dimensions off a bit so the fly wheel doesn't line up quite where it needs to be, but I plan to use an idler pulley on it that should straighten that out. I'm going to have to make the main drive pulley and a tool rest, but I am making progress.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Community project? Mike always disavows all knowledge (legitimately; someone gave it to him in the same condition he passed it along in) and you can probably guess what my two favorite days were. :gar-Bi

But it is looking good. The parts for a frame and spinning flywheel that nearly fit together is what I passed along and it looks much closer to an actual working lathe now. :icon_thum

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Hey, I have a hard enough time fixing my own mess ups, much less someone else's.

I knew somebody would make good work of it though and I'm glad it found the right home.

CarvedTones

Andy
I am indebted to you for passing it on to me. The logistics of making it portable and a decent lathe at the same time are really what made me decide to go in a different direction and that is something I thought I could work around until I had the actual half a ton (maybe I am exaggerating a little :) ) of wood in my possession. I could have spent a lot more money figuring it out.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I need to design one that is truly portable, I'm thinking 2x4 pine and wood bearings for light weight.

Of course I didn't mention that, it's a secret. :nah:

CarvedTones

Andy
He does call his design portable, but based on the description that means the frame will be assembled but folded into a fairly large wooden rectangle that you probably wouldn't want to carry very far and would need a reasonable cargo space for hauling, plus you still have the wheel and its supports. If the wheel isn't heavy it won't work very well. He did a very nice job, but it doesn't sway my opinion. I thought a breakdown treadle would be good for hauling to craft fairs and similar venues. I don't think that anymore. If I were younger and had a bigger vehicle I might. It does look like set up and break down will be quick with that design.

CarvedTones

Andy
The "pole-less pole lathe" that Roy picks up and moves around for better camera angles is certainly light enough, but has lots of parts. If accurately portraying history isn't an issue, I have seen a design that uses a rubber bungee that is really small and portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS