Tool Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
I'm sure everyone has a tool that you have to have, but storing it is a pain? Mine was the mortiser, since I don't use it a lot, I've got a cabinet in progress to store it in. So that's solved.

My biggest pain is the shop vac. It is something I use a lot, but always seems to be in the way. I haven't figured out a good place for it. Needs to be assessable as it gets lots of use. I've looked at the wall mounted ones, but they would not be large enough. Lathe produces lots of shavings.

I'm sure others have had a similar issue with some tool. Please share.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
My shop vacs live either under my outfeed table on the table saw or under another "assembly" catch all table.

My yard tools (I.e. lawn mowers) are what get in the way the most!

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I'm sure everyone has a tool that you have to have, but storing it is a pain? Mine was the mortiser, since I don't use it a lot, I've got a cabinet in progress to store it in. So that's solved.

My biggest pain is the shop vac. It is something I use a lot, but always seems to be in the way. I haven't figured out a good place for it. Needs to be assessable as it gets lots of use. I've looked at the wall mounted ones, but they would not be large enough. Lathe produces lots of shavings.

I'm sure others have had a similar issue with some tool. Please share.

What tools do you use it with most frequently? Can you give a rough description of your shop layout?

For example, if you use it with your TS most frequently, I might build a rolling cabinet for the shop vac that could serve as the outfeed table on the TS. I'd probably also make it into a sanding station and an assembly table as well. It all depends on your specific needs and how much space you have.

Glennbear

Glenn
I do not have a solution but see a chance to gripe. :gar-La; I like to keep my shop vac mobile because of various usage. Last year after many years of service mine died. :cry_smile All the of the new ones have adopted the "short squat" design which eats up more floor space and now the one I have is a constant obstacle when navigating around the shop. :realmad:

Rob

New User
Rob
I do not have a solution but see a chance to gripe. :gar-La; I like to keep my shop vac mobile because of various usage. Last year after many years of service mine died. :cry_smile All the of the new ones have adopted the "short squat" design which eats up more floor space and now the one I have is a constant obstacle when navigating around the shop. :realmad:

Hence my issue, short, squat, I also need it mobile. Just seems that when I find a place for it, it's in the way later on.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I'm with Phillip. Mine stays underneath the TS outfeed table. Alan's solution looks really cool though. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Alan always does keep his shop organized. I'm afraid if he saw mine he'd have a stroke. :gar-Bi
The squatty design is problematic, with the only real solution being under the TS outfeed in most cases. Most shop vacs have a hard time fitting under base cabinets completely anymore. The only exception I can think of is the little Ridgid that uses the mid-sized hose. It's not really made for large volume usage, though, with only a 2-3 gallon tank.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Good timing Rob!

My big 4:

1. Shop vac. Used all over the shop - no matter where I store it, it's always "trapped" when I need to move it.

2. Workmate. Really useful, but unstable when folded up & tucked in a corner - it's gets drop kicked at least once or twice a month.

3. Compressor. It's a compressor.

4. DC. It's only a 1.5HP so I roll it around from tool to tool. Takes up a good amount of space.

I spent "Shop Saturday" demolishing my old workbench along the rear wall of the garage, and building a new one w/ banks of drawers vs. the old shelves. LOTS more storage (& dust free). I left a 4' open section in the center to dock the shop vac, workmate, space heater, & a couple rolling outfeed supports. Easy access and an essentially free footprint.

I've got a plan for the DC & compressor too - I'll keep you posted.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I didn't like the 4 swivel wheels that came on the shop-vac (never went where I wanted it to go) so I built a different cart for it and removed the swivel wheels. I made the cart to fit under a counter along the back wall in it's own "garage".

This is an old picture; I'll try to take some more of the new version this afternoon and post them tonight. The shop-vac is the black/yellow tub under the counter, behind the tall stool.

Bill

BCS016.JPG

View image in gallery

cskipper

Cathy
We put in a central dust collection system in the main shop, and when I'm back there will extend into my area. We have enough blast gates with hoses spaced around the shop so that no matter how we rearrange or move equipment, it will reach the system. When the gates are opened the vac system starts up which works great providing only one gate is open at a time.

yanmarman2007

Jody
Corporate Member
Before I got my dust collection system I used a shop vac. Most of the time it stayed in one place because I ran 2" pvc to each tool along with a short piece of flex and used 2" caps for plugging, instead of blast gate. When I needed the vac eleswhere I just unhooked and move it. It worked great for me, even at the longest run.

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney
Before I got my dust collection system I used a shop vac. Most of the time it stayed in one place because I ran 2" pvc to each tool along with a short piece of flex and used 2" caps for plugging, instead of blast gate. When I needed the vac eleswhere I just unhooked and move it. It worked great for me, even at the longest run.

I've thought from time to time about doing something close to what you're talking about. Are there any advantages to using the clear exhaust hose/tubing as opposed to cheaper PVC? But haven't priced the clear, maybe it isn't more expensive???

Liked the cart idea too Bill. Made a similar, but cruder version of that for my pancake air compressor. Made it out of scraps from a storage rack I built for the garage. Swivel casters, etc. Ugly, but it works!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS