Tool Shopping Advice: Table Saw and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjbrady

New User
rj
When we moved to NC from CA last year, to save weight I got rid of my table saw. It was a cheaper craftsman saw that was not fun to use. But when getting rid of it and some other heavier tools, I negotiated with the wife to buy new tools once we were settled in. That time has come.

So I have already replaced / added some tools like the planer and air compressor. Now I have a specific budget ($1300) to buy a table saw, accessories and anything else that might come in handy. (Blade, Dado Blades, etc)

The table saw will only be used on the weekends for hobby projects. I'm renting and the house only has 110v, so I need a saw to match but would be nice to use with 220v in the next year or two. I've been looking at a few saws so far, all both 110 and 220.

Grizzly G0661: http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2010/Main/17

Grizzly G0438RLX: http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2010/Main/16

Ridgid R4511: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R4511-Table-Saw/EN/index.htm

Any advice?

Thanks,

Ryan

eyekode

New User
Salem
If you can still find a R4511 for 300$ I would jump on it! That will leave you quite a bit of budget.
I like that they thought about dust collection and riving knife on the new griz' but I really don't like the idea of trunnions connected to the table top.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
If you can still find a R4511 for 300$ I would jump on it! That will leave you quite a bit of budget.
I like that they thought about dust collection and riving knife on the new griz' but I really don't like the idea of trunnions connected to the table top.

+1

And look at flatheadfishers recent post on his experience with Griz being out of stock.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
And I did a quick R4511 north carolina site:craigslist.org google search and came up empty. I even tried the surrounding states and without any states. If they are out there they are being elusive!

Be patient, I'm sure something will come up!

rjbrady

New User
rj
I'm going to call around today to see if another store has the ridgid so I can see it, but I'm still undecided. I'm still open to other saws as well. I might have to make a trip up to Raleigh to do some research... There's really not many places out here by Camp Lejeune to find woodworking tools.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I really don't like the idea of trunnions connected to the table top.

Isn't this one of the primary differences between a contractor saw (and many hybrid saws) and a cabinet saw. Sure there are definite advantages to cabinet connected trunnions but the other way is tried and true as well. If you're looking at quality hybrid/contractor saws it's nothing to be terribly concerned about.

Travis

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The Craftsman zipcode saws have gotten positive reviews. The DeWalt hybrid has loyal followings as well and would be a good choice IMO as well.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Craigslist may be your best friend in this search. If you keep checking each day you might find a good deal and have $$$ left over for all sorts of other things. For instance this is currently on Raleigh Craigslist (and there are some Craftsman contractors on Eastern NC craigslist):

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/1571171400.html

George

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Currently on RDU craigslist 10" Delta Table Saw $325. Ad says Unifence, but picture show 52" Biesemeyer. Won't last long at this price. If you don't have room for 52", tube and rails can be cut. Saw operated on either 110, or 220.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Isn't this one of the primary differences between a contractor saw (and many hybrid saws) and a cabinet saw. Sure there are definite advantages to cabinet connected trunnions but the other way is tried and true as well. If you're looking at quality hybrid/contractor saws it's nothing to be terribly concerned about.

Travis

Travis,
Yes this is the major difference between a "contractor" and a "cabinet" saw. Note that the trunnions on the R4511 connect to the cabinet.

It may be "tried and true" but I really don't care for them. They can fall out of adjustment easily. And if you look at the geometry there is a fair amount of racking force when the blade is tilted that will tend to pull the blade out of square with the fence. I have owned two Jet contractor's saws. Both of which if you grab the motor and pull to the side you can bring the blade out of alignment.

I also really dislike the motor hanging out the back. Makes dust collection very hard and makes the footprint of the saw too big.

Note the crafstman zipcode saws also have cabinet mounted trunnions.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Travis,
Yes this is the major difference between a "contractor" and a "cabinet" saw. Note that the trunnions on the R4511 connect to the cabinet.

It may be "tried and true" but I really don't care for them. They can fall out of adjustment easily. And if you look at the geometry there is a fair amount of racking force when the blade is tilted that will tend to pull the blade out of square with the fence. I have owned two Jet contractor's saws. Both of which if you grab the motor and pull to the side you can bring the blade out of alignment.

I also really dislike the motor hanging out the back. Makes dust collection very hard and makes the footprint of the saw too big.

It is a bit easier to align and adjust the trunions and mechanisms of a cabinet grade saw. The trunnions are easier to adjust primarily because they are monuted to the cabinet. You loosen the top, and get it parallel. Additionally, many believe (I lean towards this as well) that the additional weight and mass of a cabinet saw helps to reduce vibration. Lastly, a cabinet saw is going to be able to have a bigger motor which equates to more HP. When I moved from a Craftsman saw to a Powermatic PM-66 cabinet saw, it was mind boggling. Everything about it was easier to adjust, set up, and use. Cutting 8/4 oak or 12/4 maple no longer bogged the saw down.

Two negatives though. Price and power. New cabinet saws are not cheap, and IIRC, they all take 220 volt power.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Travis,

I definitely agree with you about the motor hanging out the back! And please note I did say " If you're looking at quality hybrid/contractor saws it's nothing to be terribly concerned about." The operational word there being quality. The Dewalt is a good example of a highly regarded hybrid saw with table attached trunion. My point was just that it's not necesarily a bad thing and in a good saw shouldn't be a dealbreaker if it has everything else you're looking for....

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I would not overspend at this point if your long term goal is a cab saw The HD/Ridgid deal may be okay. Else find something used on Craigslist. If you find yourself in a situation where you have space and power needed for a cab saw in the future you can sell the contractor saw and not lose much at all.

If you can find a used saw with a GOOD fence system - jump on it. Fence instability is at best frustrating and worst case is dangerous. A poor fence will make you look for another hobby.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS