Tool gloat for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Despite the slight price difference and once shipping was figured in both monetarily and time-wise, immediate gratification won over and was greater than $10 savings.
I got a refund on my mortgage and it was burning a hole in my pocket, so I stopped by Woodcraft today and spoke with the fine gentlemen there. They were able to match the best price I could find on the Wolverine jig and Vari-grind fixture. So this found it's way into my truck along with a 3/8" Pinnacle spindle gouge (that money was really burning :lol: ) Thanks Tom, John and Greg

Grinder_jig_002.jpg

It is just placed on my "sharpening station" as I need to get some longer bolts to mount it permanently, but I knew that I couldn't gloat without a picture :-D

I do have a question...I removed the rubber feet from the bottom of the grinder. Should I reattach them under the plywood riser block? I have more than enough clearance for the jig clamps without them. Anyone else have this set up that has done with or without them????

Dave:)

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Dave, I have the same setup as you...same lathe, same grinder, and same Wolverine system. Thhe Wolverine sure makes sharpening much easier. Enjoy.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Did you use the rubber feet off the grinder or not???? If you didn't, do you get a lot of vibration? If you did, did you have any difficulty keeping the grinder level and plumb as the feet compress while tightening down the mounting bolts???

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, I removed the feet off of my grinder and bolted it down. Part of the reason I removed the feet was to have the jig at the proper distance from the center of the wheels as detailed on the mounting instructions in the jig.

Now let's talk about that psychedelic background behind your lathe.:rolf:

Monty

New User
Monty
Dave, that's a really nice looking setup you've got there! I know you'll give that grinder a workout, as much as you've been using your lathe lately. Regarding the support - my suggestion would be to take the rubber feet off, and mount the grinder on a larger piece of plywood that's long enough to permanently attach the Wolverine brackets (you can still use the additional riser block). Then you have a setup that's portable if you need it to be, and will always be lined up. I don't know if you noticed but when I brought my grinder to the show in October it was set up just like that. If vibration/noise is an issue for you, you can put that whole setup on a thin rubber mat.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I was reading the instructions to the jig and noticed a part where Oneway recommends that the grinder be run at high speed 3450 rpm, not slow 1725 rpm. I have alway heard that you should use a slow speed grinder for HSS tools. It's a good thing that I have a 2-speed grinder now. What speed do y'all grind at???

Big Mike, that's just an attempt at making the garage door a little more interesting to look at :lol: :lol:

MarkW

New User
Mark
Congrats! I have the exact same system and I've been very happy with it. I mounted it like Monty said and its very stable. I took the feet and placed them on the larger ply. I noticed the speed statement, but I had always heard slow speed also so I only bought the slow speed grinder. It seems to work fine.
100_7234.JPG

Last edited:

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Just checked my set up and I have removed the feet. Nice set up Dave:icon_thum

And a hearty YOU SUCK to you :eusa_clap

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
When we set AC units that rest on any part of the structure, we add rubber pads as "vibration dampers".
I would think the existing rubber feet should be left on.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Congrats Dave!
That's a fine looking tool :icon_thum
A well deserved YOU SUCK!

BTW, please tell me how to get a mortage refund :eusa_pray
Own my house, but will gladly buy another if I get a refund :eusa_doh:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor