Tool Donations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
Do any of you guys know a place that takes power tool donations? Maybe Habitat for Humanity or something similiar? Maybe you know of someone down on their luck with kids to feed that needs something to work with to make some money?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Durham Habitat for Humanity had a bunch of their tools stolen recently. As for someone down on their luck, I would say my nephew, who knows how to use them, but he would just hock them to buy dope.

Go

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I'm sure HH will take what ever you want to donate and you might get a tax write off. Don't know of anyone down on their luck but there are a lot of them out there.

Mike

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Last summer, I donated a BT TS and a few other power tools to HH Raleigh.

They take any tool that will help build/construct houses!

Way to go! :thumbs_up

M

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
What kind of dirt bag would do such a thing??? That's like stealing from a Church or a little kid!:kamahlitu
Sadly, that's happened a more than a couple of times that I know of. Both Durham and Wake H4H have been ripped off in the past few years. Everything from loads of vinyl siding to metal bending brakes, to power tools, to bundles of 2 X 4s, have been stolen from Wake. I had to wait an extra two weeks to side a house in southeast Raleigh because someone took the full load of siding.

If you have something you would like to donate to Habitat in Raleigh, I can help you with introductions and delivery. If you'd like to donate in Durham, I can get you the appropriate contact info. Send me a PM or email if you want more.

ck1999

Chris
User
You may want to check local churches as well some of them have Handyman Ministries or other activities and can use them. I know if Fayetteville there is a church that started "Operation In As Much" and they may could use them.

Chris

jpr28056

New User
Joe
Yes, HH will take them and you can get a donation receipt for your taxes. I just started working for the HH in Gastonia as a volunteer at their store. I figured this will be something useful to do until people around here start hiring again.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Tool Donations - Wilmington non-profit?

Also there is a place in Wilmington NC that seems to operate a shop where youth can learn some WW skills. They are on the North Carolina Woodworker classifieds looking for a Belsaw planar/molder. If you can work out the transport, that would be the kind of place I'd want to donate tools (like that would ever happen, maybe when I have too many tools?!)

Henry

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Re: Tool Donations - Wilmington non-profit?

Also there is a place in Wilmington NC that seems to operate a shop where youth can learn some WW skills. They are on the North Carolina Woodworker classifieds looking for a Belsaw planar/molder. If you can work out the transport, that would be the kind of place I'd want to donate tools (like that would ever happen, maybe when I have too many tools?!)

Henry

Henry,

Sounds as if you're talking about Kids Making It ( http://kidsmakingit.org/ ) What a terrific organization. They asked for project plans for young woodworkers a couple of years ago. IIRC, someone posted a note to the effect on NCWW.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Jackson Park Ministries in Charlotte runs a wood shop to rebuild furniture and teach woodworking to its residents who are transitioning from homeless.

Sounds like you have some other good local options, but I wanted to chime in in case anyone in Charlotte was reading the thread and in a similar I got tools and need to donate situation.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I just donated 2 routers, 1 laminate trimmer, an 8" bench grinder, and a 1/2-hp Westinghouse electric motor to the Restore Warehouse (HH) in Fayetteville. They were glad to get them and already had people lining up to buy them before I left.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Kids Making It (KMI) in Wilmington takes tool donations. They teach kids woodworking. They do not guarantee to keep or use the tools as they do sell some stuff, but they are a non-profit and a good cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors