Today's progess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre2

New User
Sabre2
Didn't get much done but the headboard is starting to get too hard to move around.

Gluing the posts to the frame and finish on backside of panels

Attachments

• glue posts to headboard small.jpg
    glue posts to headboard small.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 152
  • post glue-up to frame.jpg
    post glue-up to frame.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 160
  • panels backside finished small.jpg
    panels backside finished small.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 165

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Those panels look fantastic. If those are the back sides, I bet the fronts are even better.
Dave:)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Sabre2:

What size bed are you making. I am planning to make the same headboard from the black walnut I bought from Jeff. Any tips?

Doug

Sabre2

New User
Sabre2
Douglas,

It is a king size headboard from Woodsmith #145. The hardest part was cutting the slots for all the splines. I built the posts first and cut the slots with a dado. When I started the arched top and rails I used a slotting cutter in the router table. Maneuvering the arched piece, which is 72" long, was tough. Mainly because of my shop size. Getting the slots the exact size as in the post was tedious. I was contemplating on changing the assembly method before I started to using mortise and tennon, but didn’t. It has worked out so far and I have been able to work around my limitations. The most difficult part assembly wise was gluing up and clamping the frame assembly. This was again due to size. Every time I had to use my table saw I had to move the frame. I will definitely be glad when this is in the bedroom.

Gary

dozer

Mike
I have to say those panels look great I can't wait to see the finished product.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I thought about that one too. Luckily for me the one in #160 came out before I was able to get off the couch. I'll make that one!
The arch & stile mating looks very good in your pics. I'm jealous because I remember a very similar effort years ago and thought I'd quit woodworking before I accidentally got them to come together!
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS