Time to get serious

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
I finally decided to break down and take a class at the Campbell folk school to try and get a little better at this turning thing. I currently turn just enough to forget what I have learned before and have to relearn technique each time. Anyone have any comments. I am taking a mini lathe course at the end of May.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
They have a week long class in mid April.... I am tempted but too cheap to spring for the $$$$. Let me know how you like it.

[pie]That $$$ could buy a lot of wood and toys[/pie]

dozer

Mike
All i did was put on the hockey gear and go out to my lathe and figure out what i could do and couldn't it has worked ok for me so far.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I finally decided to break down and take a class at the Campbell folk school to try and get a little better at this turning thing. I currently turn just enough to forget what I have learned before and have to relearn technique each time. Anyone have any comments. I am taking a mini lathe course at the end of May.

You will like that place--------be careful because it can become habit forming.

We will probably pass each other on the road--------I will be taking the turning class 1st week in June.:icon_thum

Jerry

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
You will enjoy it. You get to spend your entire day "in the shop" and meet a bunch of like minded folks.

It's a great place run by (and attended by) good people. :thumbs_up

. . . but is is expensive :thumbs_do

pete

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Best to you!
The Campbell Folk School is a great place full of great folks. Also if someone's significant other isn't interested in wood turning, I'd bet they have SOMETHING they'd enjoy. Aside from other wood disciplines, they offer classes in metal work to pottery to fabric. Look at their website~ they offer something to appeal to most anyone.
Also, the Penland School in the western part of the state is another option. Another varied medium opportunity.
When you go to Brasstown, I'd encourage you to look up Lissi Oland. Her late husband Knud was a turner extrordinaire - and Lissi is no slouch in her own right. What a talented lady. Their daughter is following in their steps. The Oland place is close to the Campbell school. Knud worked with the folk school for years. Get a double dose out of your trip. (Lissis offers turning classes too) Not meant to be an advertisement but just interesting state facts and history. I hope to get LOML a day with Lissi. Check out her easily found website. Just looking at Lissi and Knud's work is in itself a lesson in woodturning.
Good for you for going back to school!!!

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
They have a week long class in mid April.... I am tempted but too cheap to spring for the $$$$. Let me know how you like it.

[pie]That $$$ could buy a lot of wood and toys[/pie]

But what are you going to do with a bunch of tools if you do not know how to use them to their capacity? :rolf: I used to think I would not pay that much money to take a class----------but I found out the best and maybe the quickest way to learn it is to work with the masters!!

No insults intended------it was later in life before I had the $$$$$$$$$ to go. However, the cost is getting very near prohibitive stage for me.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS