Time to document procedures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
Now that we are entering another year, I think it may be time to get some written procedures in place. This will help with continuity as the board transitions, and especially if someone leaves the board mid-term. The info below is not intended to be a complete list, but just a starting point. The procedures should include things like:

Events - checklist for planning a picnic, including as much detail as possible. This would need to include whether or not there is electricity, covered seating, restrooms…. If re-using a previous site, list the vendors used for food and/or other donations, wood runs…. If the site is in a new location, ask the person who recommended the site for caterers.

Shop crawls – is there a standard set of things that need to be done and a specific order to them?

Rafflles and other fund-rasing– can we develop a list of vendors we have gotten donations from in the past. Please include the contact person for the donations. What has worked in the past for fund-raising, what didn’t work and why you though they didn’t work (are they worth trying again?)

Accounting - Procedures for transferring accounts from one treasurer to the next. Often the outgoing person is the one who needs to coordinate the transfer through the various companies to the new person. It would also be helpful if we had:
A listof vendors/people we pay
When we pay them
Who pays them
How and where the payments show up in the bank account
Contact person for companies we pay

Minutes – Suggested outline of meeting format, when to send notices, the phone number (keep updated as this changes), when the minutes will be available and where they can be found.

Job Descriptions and responsibilities – I’m not sure this is defined, and if the above info gets documented is a major issue. This may be most important to be sure duties get passed from one board to the next as smoothly as posssible.

BOD forum access – when the outgoing Board members are removed from the BOD forum.

Webmaster- Tracy, this could be the toughest. Who has access to the folks who host the website and all the million other folks you deal with? Are you involved in paying any vendors? If so, can we transfer to the treasurer?

Is there a way that this information can be stored where the appropriate folks could access it, including incoming boards (so they have the history and don’t have to re-build the wheel)..

As I said, I am really sure that the above list is incomplete. I hope I am not over-stepping my role, but thought we could get the ball rolling. (if I am over-stepping I guess we do need job descriptions, huh?) I am available to help with development of procedures.
Thanks,
Cathy

cskipper

Cathy
Do we have a contact list for the BOD? If so, where? Either way, add it to the list above.
Thanks,

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Now that we are entering another year, I think it may be time to get some written procedures in place. This will help with continuity as the board transitions, and especially if someone leaves the board mid-term. The info below is not intended to be a complete list, but just a starting point. The procedures should include things like:

Events - checklist for planning a picnic, including as much detail as possible. This would need to include whether or not there is electricity, covered seating, restrooms…. If re-using a previous site, list the vendors used for food and/or other donations, wood runs…. If the site is in a new location, ask the person who recommended the site for caterers.

Shop crawls – is there a standard set of things that need to be done and a specific order to them?

Rafflles and other fund-rasing– can we develop a list of vendors we have gotten donations from in the past. Please include the contact person for the donations. What has worked in the past for fund-raising, what didn’t work and why you though they didn’t work (are they worth trying again?)

Accounting - Procedures for transferring accounts from one treasurer to the next. Often the outgoing person is the one who needs to coordinate the transfer through the various companies to the new person. It would also be helpful if we had:
When we pay them
Who pays them

Minutes – Suggested outline of meeting format, when to send notices, the phone number (keep updated as this changes), when the minutes will be available and where they can be found.

Job Descriptions and responsibilities – I’m not sure this is defined, and if the above info gets documented is a major issue. This may be most important to be sure duties get passed from one board to the next as smoothly as posssible.

BOD forum access – when the outgoing Board members are removed from the BOD forum.

Webmaster- Tracy, this could be the toughest. Who has access to the folks who host the website and all the million other folks you deal with? Are you involved in paying any vendors? If so, can we transfer to the treasurer?

Is there a way that this information can be stored where the appropriate folks could access it, including incoming boards (so they have the history and don’t have to re-build the wheel)..

As I said, I am really sure that the above list is incomplete. I hope I am not over-stepping my role, but thought we could get the ball rolling. (if I am over-stepping I guess we do need job descriptions, huh?) I am available to help with development of procedures.
Thanks,
Cathy

I don't actually pay anything, I just supply the debit card number to our web host and Go Daddy. These are recurring payments and the receipts go to accounting@ncwoodworker.net which Barbara now has access to.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Excellent thoughts Cathy. I can help with a couple.

Job Descriptions and responsibilities – I’m not sure this is defined, and if the above info gets documented is a major issue. This may be most important to be sure duties get passed from one board to the next as smoothly as possible.

President: The President shall be chief executive Officer of the Corporation and functions as the Chairman of the Board of Directors. Subject to the authority of the Board of Directors, he shall have general charge and supervision over, and responsibility for, the business and affairs of the
Corporation. Unless otherwise directed by the Board, all other Officers shall be subject to the authority and supervision of the President. The President will exercise that authority through the Executive Vice President.

The President may enter into and execute in the name of the Corporation contracts or other instruments in the regular course of business or contracts or other instruments not in the regular course of business which are authorized, either generally or specifically, by the Board of Directors.
The President shall have the general powers and duties of management usually vested in the office of President of a Corporation.

Executive Vice-President:
The Executive Vice President (EVP) shall serve as the chief operating officer for the Corporation. Taking direction from the President, the EVP will direct the day to day operations of the Corporation and supervise the other officers in their duties.

The EVP may assume the responsibilities and authority of any officer of the Corporation, including the President, for the following reasons:
a) Short term absence
b) Long term absence
c) Resignation
d) Death
e) Inability or refusal to act

The assumption of responsibilities will be automatic until such time as the Board of Directors can address the issues.

Vice-President for Internet Operations (Webmaster): The Vice President for Internet Operations is responsible for the day to day management of the Corporations’ Internet operations. This includes all duties both implied and expressly referred to in Section 3 above, titled “Website”, but also includes all other Internet operations. This position is also responsible for planning, staffing, and policy.

Secretary: The Secretary shall be responsible for the maintenance of the following
documents:
Articles of Incorporation
By-Laws
Meeting Minutes
Contracts
All other Corporate Documents and records

In addition, the Secretary will:
Serve as the Chairperson of the Board of Directors Nominating committee.
Oversee the election of the Board of Directors
Oversee all “voting” by creating or causing to create all necessary notices and ballots, certifying voting results and maintaining voting records.

Treasurer:

The Treasurer shall have the custody of the funds and securities of the Corporation and shall keep or cause to be kept regular books of accounts for the Corporation.
The Treasurer will file or cause to be filed all financial documentation and financial returns as required by North Carolina and/or Federal law.

The Treasurer shall create or cause to be created any standard financial reports that are needed for the operation of the Corporation.

Events Director:
The Events Director shall coordinate and oversee all non-internet activities such as tradeshow demonstrations, teaching workshops, tours of woodworking shops and similar events to promote the goals of the Corporation.

Development Director:
The Development Director will be responsible for all activities involving fund raising, community outreach, charitable activities and liaison, and publicity.

As for the meeting outline/format, I learned it from looking at past meeting announcements and notes. Generally, meetings are run according to Robert's Rules of Order. Once a meeting time and date are set, I draw up an Agenda (Announcement of Meeting/Conference Call) and post it in the BOD forum. I find the topics by looking through recent threads in the BOD forum and also include topics that carry over from the last meeting. After the Announcement thread is posted, other members of the board are welcomed to suggest additional topics or to remove topics that they feel are no longer relevant, etc. Once the final agenda is set, we use that for the meetings and generally stick to it. :gar-La; After the meeting/conference call, I post my notes in the BOD forum and other board members can make corrections, etc. After that, I post them in the Download Library so that the Corporate Members have access to them.

Hopefully this was helpful. I do agree that all of this should be put together in some sort of easy to read and efficient place. The job descriptions are taken from the bylaws, which are available in the download library. I have the paper copy of the bylaws at my residence.

cskipper

Cathy
I don't actually pay anything, I just supply the debit card number to our web host and Go Daddy. These are recurring payments and the receipts go to accounting@ncwoodworker.net which Barbara now has access to.

Tracy,
I actually included knowing the debit card is used, to whom, $ and on what day of the month in my wants list. Just want the big picture documented somewhere.

TracyP

Tracy
Tracy,
I actually included knowing the debit card is used, to whom, $ and on what day of the month in my wants list. Just want the big picture documented somewhere.

I can put that together soon.

TracyP

Tracy
There are only three of four recurring bills. They are Real Web Hosts monthly, go daddy accounts annual renewal, and authorize.net that bills us 25.00 monthly when there are no transactions. We need to develop a plan to make some type of transaction monthly for 25.00 so we avoid that fee. Other than that we only have our individual expenses pertaining to our respective positions. We have in the past all handled our jobs as deemed and reported to the BOD forum. We tried discussing all of our jobs before we took action and found it counter productive. We then decided that each board member take care or their position and duties then report the results to the board. That worked the best. I think we need to follow the direction last mentioned as we functioned much better as a board. When we discussed every action before taking the action it really was cumbersome. Just my two cent worth.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member

A lot of this is in the old minutes and in Scott's head (and the other BoD members too) It would help to put it in writing.

There is a committee for this. It has not been BoD function. Dennis is familiar with it.

Rob is the Man here.

When we pay them
Who pays them

You have thius already (Tracy and Joe)

Trent answered.

In the by-laws.

Limited to the BoD. Ex-BoD have access as long as the present BoD deems it ok. (Feel free to cut me off whenever you want.)

Thanks,
Cathy

There is a BoD contact thread. I will post a link to it again.

Doug

M

McRabbet

I'll put together some details on the Raffle process -- sorry to be so quiet of late, but I've been in a bit of a funk. I'll get through it and get back to being my old self. Cathy -- I applaud your suggestion here as it is long overdue.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
As Doug stated, a lot of the events stuff is in my head. Lemme see what I can shake out.

cskipper

Cathy
I really do appreciate all the assistance. Tracy, I never meant that we had to fully discuss every detail every time, just to be able to document that we at least know what we are paying and when.

Doug - you'll probably have access until you are old and gray - lol!

Thanks again.

TracyP

Tracy
I really do appreciate all the assistance. Tracy, I never meant that we had to fully discuss every detail every time, just to be able to document that we at least know what we are paying and when.

Doug - you'll probably have access until you are old and gray - lol!

Thanks again.

Just trying to share some history on what worked and what didn't. No intent was meant. Sometime my written words don't match my thoughts.:no::nah:

cskipper

Cathy
Just trying to share some history on what worked and what didn't. No intent was meant. Sometime my written words don't match my thoughts.:no::nah:

Sorry if I was touchy too. Too many irons in the fire over the last few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS