Time on a Thickness Sander Near Raleigh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsjordan

New User
Joel Jordan
Hello everyone -

I am new to the forum and am looking for some help. My woodworking focus is electric guitar building and my 10X12 shop is optimized for this purpose. However, space is a premium (isn't it always?) and so I only have the bare minimum tools required for luthier work.

Currently I am working on a special project and need to find someone within reasonable driving distance of Raleigh that would let me buy/beg/borrow or steal some time on a thickness sander. I have some tiger/flame maple "tops" for the guitar bodies that I need to thickness and clean up and my jitterbug sander just won't cut it. :)

Any help is greatly appreciated and if anyone else on the forum is also into lutherie, I'm always up for swapping ideas and "lessons learned."

Thanks all! Joel

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
i will be here for a couple more weeks, I live in hope mills, if you want to take the drive let me know I have a 38"woodmaster at your service. All I have is 80g on it right now, let me know if your doing rough or finish sanding so I can order a new roll. Be blessed friend.

R

rickc

I have heard NC State has a woodworking shop and that they will allow individuals time on their machines. Perhaps someone on this site has contact information and can share their experience at State.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Depending on how wide your tops are, there are several members in the Raleigh (Clayton/ Apex) area with Performax drum sanders. I can do up 16" (32") if you do it a half at a time, but I am not sure the machine is set up well enough for that yet. And someone else with a brand spanking new 24" (48") that needs breaking in :-D

Dave:)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
DaveO said:
Depending on how wide your tops are, there are several members in the Raleigh (Clayton/ Apex) area with Performax drum sanders. I can do up 16" (32") if you do it a half at a time, but I am not sure the machine is set up well enough for that yet. And someone else with a brand spanking new 24" (48") that needs breaking in :-D

Dave:)
I think what Dave is hinting at is my brand new 22/44. The machine was just assembled, but not aligned. So I have no idea how it will perform. But your welcome to come over and we can try it together.

Send me a PM and we can make arrangements

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi Joel,

I certainly do not have the kind of gear that you are looking for to do that sanding job requested.:crybaby2:

I did want to send you a big WELCOME! to the site. :eusa_clap As you have already witnessed, there are a bunch of very helpful, talented and experienced woodworkers here to offer assistance and advice.

Would love to see some photo's of your lutherie and other woodworking projects.

Again. Welcome and have yourself some fun and post frequently!

Wayne

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Michael's offer is very generous, he lives a block from me, and I would like to make a guitar. So, obviously from my perspective that is the offer you should accept! :lol::lol::lol:

Welcome to the forum!

clowman

Clay Lowman
Hi Joel, I do hope you find what you need, but I would add welcomes to you on the site, and encourage you to introduce yourself in the Who We Are Forum, so we can give you a proper welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS