Time for a little chuckle

Status
Not open for further replies.

lottathought

New User
Michael
Tonight was the night. My first solo pen.

I had assisted DaveO on one...and he made sure I did not go flat..much like in a Tandem jump.

I did learn a lot...and developed a few questions..but now is a time for trial and error.

So here is the finished product..yes, I see a ton of errors too.

Attachments

• PICT2342.JPG
    PICT2342.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 148

MikeH

New User
Mike
Tonight was the night. My first solo pen.

I had assisted DaveO on one...and he made sure I did not go flat..much like in a Tandem jump.

I did learn a lot...and developed a few questions..but now is a time for trial and error.

So here is the finished product..yes, I see a ton of errors too.

Michael the pen looks great especially for your first solo pen. You will always be your greatest critic. I think it looks great. :eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_danc

lottathought

New User
Michael
Thanks...but I can see it up close...:rolf:
The finish has some spots that I can feel....definately need to spend more time on sanding in my next attempt.

I was not thinking and drove the tranny in too far. It was a bear getting it back out. Also, I really need to work on getting the ends rounded and ready for the bushings to come free.

I am going to store this pen away though. This will always be a pen that I can look back on..as a reference point.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dang Mike, you did VERY well. That's awesome looking. I really like you center band, I like it a lot!!! I can't see any flaws in the finish from the picture. You fit looks great and again your photography is very good too. You've got talent, I see great pens coming out of your shop :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
What kind of wood did you use??

Dave:)

lottathought

New User
Michael
The wood?
Why Dave..you do not recognize it?

I used one of those pieces you gave me.
I glued in a piece of walnut, followed by a same piece of blank. I remembered that you saidthe same wood, in a different direction, can look different. I ran with that taking a chance it would look different.

Thanks all.
I am looking forward to trying it again..very soon.:drunken_s

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Thanks...but I can see it up close...:rolf:
The finish has some spots that I can feel....definately need to spend more time on sanding in my next attempt.

I was not thinking and drove the tranny in too far. It was a bear getting it back out. Also, I really need to work on getting the ends rounded and ready for the bushings to come free.

I am going to store this pen away though. This will always be a pen that I can look back on..as a reference point.

looks good but if you want to sand it more get yourself down to HF and pick up a set of transfer punches and knock it apart. put it back on the lathe and get it the way you want it.:eusa_clap

fred p

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, I gave you so many types of wood, I don't even remember them all. Is it the Sycamore that I gave you already cut into blank sizes???

It must be your glue lines, but it sure looks like you have that piece of Walnut sandwiched between to pieces of darker veneer, which looks really good. I have never tried a CB like that mine are have always been at the end. I will be stealing that idea from you :-D :-D :-D

Dave:)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
well...from your title, I thought we were going to see more pix of toolferone in his kilt, but instead, I see a very well done pen! I don't see any reason for chuckling! Nice job...keep up the good work and .... as everyone knows.... you had a good mentor!

Cheers,
Chris

lottathought

New User
Michael
Thanks all..

And yes Dave, it was a piece of the sycamore.

And the concept that you would be stealing ideas from me....like I said, this is a chuckle thread. :lol:

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
It looks like you are off to a great start.
As for any flaws you see,it is you first by yourself and you are your worse critic.
With each one you will improve.Hopefully you will satisfy others but probably never satisfy yourself( I don't).
I don't believe I Will ever make a pen without any flaws.That is not possible for a mortal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS