This arrived today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
Grizzly 8" Jointer. Pretty #### excited about it. Now, how to lift that beast onto the stand?

jointer.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I left the top on the truck and unpacked it there. Moved it out to the tailgate and moved the base next to the tailgate. Only had to lower it about 6" that way. Bolted it to the base and the built-in rollers did the rest to get it in the shop. My wife and I handled the lift. Did all this before adding the fence mechanism. Probably some pictures in my gallery somewhere.

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
Well, my son came over and we got it on there. It really wasn't all that bad, I think the long bed provide lots of leverage since the weight is all in the middle.

And I have to say that after reading lots of Grizzly horror stories I was really apprehensive about getting this, but it was probably one of the easiest tool purchases I have made. From the UPS guy rolling it right into my garage, to the very easy assembly to it being coplanar/square, etc. right out of the box. I did nothing setup wise except square the fence. My first piece of lumber I milled, a 2"x8"x6' QS Oak, came out absolutely, perfectly square.

This is my first purchase from Grizzly, but it definitely won't be my last!
jointer2.JPG

Attachments

• jointer2.JPG
    jointer2.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 206
  • jointer2.JPG
    jointer2.JPG
    679.5 KB · Views: 205

BWSmith

New User
BW
Congrats,am sure you'll get lots of good work out of it.

We have one,in fact the purchase was a heads up from this forum.It's interesting because,even though we build DC systems to include all sheet metal work(we even make our own fittings),yadayada...the one of VERY few pcs not connected to DC'ers is that jointer.Got a cardboard bx shoved up against it.

The only problem with ours(std 4 blade) is the fence hdwre is a touch cheesy.Bolt shoulders,castings,washers all seemingly with a mind of their own ? 90% of the time the fence stays square.Just a minor inconvenience,and too lazy to machine the parts for better refinement.Yours may stay put,but keep checking it over a few projects.

We also relocated the start/stop switch from the raised "arm" to,below table height.The jointer is nested between 3 table saws,and couldn't have anything higher than those tops.We run the snot out of it.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
I just purchased a wide belt sander from them and could not be happier! I got the same feeling from UPS to setup, the entire process was smooth as butter!

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
After using it for a few weeks, I have to say that I love it and the only thing I don't like is this things clogs up very fast. Even with a shop vac attached. I'm sure a better dust collection system could handle it, but for now I'm taking BWSMITH's advice and I took the dust port cover off and just put a box under to catch the shavings(which there are tons). Works great.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Just be mindful of the more dangerous small dust you can't see using the box method. Respirator/air cleaner are some suggestions.
Anyway, great buy and so nice that it was flat and square out of box. Congrats.

rob.nester

New User
Rob
Just wanted to say thanks for posting your feedback on the grizzly, as I am currently debating between a grizzly or a jet 8" with a spiral / helical head.

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
Glad to help. I do plan on upgrading this machine to the spiral head whenever these knives go dull. Also want the spiral head for my DeWalt planer and I'll probably upgrade that one first.

Jet machines are great, I have a Jet bandsaw, so I'm sure whichever one you choose you'll be happy with.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the ShopFox version and did the uncrating in the back of my pickup. To support the heavy midsection, I slid it on the lip of the tailgate onto the base. I was concerned what would happen by putting lots of strain to the beds.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Just be mindful of the more dangerous small dust you can't see using the box method. Respirator/air cleaner are some suggestions.
Shop air cleaners don't work fast enough to keep the air safe while you're operating WW'ing machines. It can take hours for them to circulate enough air to get the fine dust down to a safe level. A respirator really should be worn if you want to breathe clean air and are not using adequate dust collection at the machine.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Shop air cleaners don't work fast enough to keep the air safe while you're operating WW'ing machines. It can take hours for them to circulate enough air to get the fine dust down to a safe level. A respirator really should be worn if you want to breathe clean air and are not using adequate dust collection at the machine.
Truth. Not sure about the "hours" but the point is a good one. Thanks

BWSmith

New User
BW
On their own,an air scrubber will take time but...

You can save a bunch of effort by having a positive flow workspace.Translated,by having another fan moving air,"through" the work station,putting you in a predictable airflow(shoot for 1-2 mph)...you're always in clean air.Just sayin,it's easier to push air than pull.

Our scrubber will clean up residual dust,measured in minutes.The general flow patterns are going to be different for every application...hard to assign real time numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors