Things are Happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Absolutely beautiful work, Jerry!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_danc

I still have trouble comprehending how such great work can be accomplished without "plugging in a power tool"!

Wayne

Wayne---------Although I have done some chairs with all hand tools, I must confess, I use a combination of traditional and modern tools. I cut the seat out with a motorized band saw but I carve it with an inshave. I do all the turnings (legs, stretchers, arm supports) on a modern lathe. I drill holes with a cordless drill and on a drill press, but I ream the tapered mortise for the legs with a brace and tapered bit. All loops, spindles, crest pieces are done with draw knife, spokeshave, and carving chisels.
A lot of clean up on the parts is done with various card scrapers.

Thanks for taking time to view the pics!!

Jerry

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Now that looks like a good excuse for "sitting down on the job". Great work. But I am curious about the color of all but the black one. Is it the light or what color is it painted?
Jim in Mayberry

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Jim---------The continuous arm is a natural finish on a mahogany seat and red oak on the remainder of the chair, the sackback rocker is a poplar seat and ash or oak on the other parts. It is yet to be painted, what you see there now is raw wood.:)

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS