Thickness Planers - How Thin??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The sled with stops can help the stock from being flung out and will eliminate the problems caused by bed rollers, but there are a couple of other issues with planing thin stock that depend on the design of the planer.

The blades being close to or actually striking the bed is a non-issue.

Cutterhead and blade design and sharpness are factors. It is easier to plane thin stock with a segmented head like a Byrd Shelix.

Bed and feed roller design, pressure, and spacing can cause flex in a thin piece which is the problem. The stock can be pulled up causing unever planing or even buckle and get caught in the cutter with any number of negative results.

I think you will find that folks who do a lot of work with thin stock, like luthiers, only use a planer to get close, then switch to a drum or wide belt sander to achieve final thickness (or should that be 'final thinness'? :wsmile: )

A shelix head would do better than a straight blade head? I'm not disagreeing, I just find that surprising. So, my next question is why? I would have thought all those little teeth would make it more risky for tearing on thin stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS