thickness planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

daver828

New User
David
If I wanted to laminate several thin boards together, different color species, to make a design as they are shaped later, would a thickness planer be sufficient to mill them and glue up? Or do most still use a hand plane to take out any marks from the machine? If it makes any difference, it would be 3 to 4" wide and 1/8th to 1/4 thick. Thanks.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You should be able to go from a planer to face lamination, I have done it a lot. Being able to joint the face of the stock first would help to ensure a consistent thickness. But with multiple passes through a planer, flipping the stock as you go, you can acheive pretty flat and co-planer stock...but it will be thin.
Dave:)

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
Your planer should do a fine job - The surface don't need to be perfectly smooth for a glue up.. One thing to consider though is, depending on the planer, some don't like to cut below 1/4", so you may need to make an auxilliary planer bed to run your stock through on.

Hope this helps!

Glennbear

Glenn
Your planer should do a fine job - The surface don't need to be perfectly smooth for a glue up.. One thing to consider though is, depending on the planer, some don't like to cut below 1/4", so you may need to make an auxilliary planer bed to run your stock through on.

Hope this helps!

These were my thoughts also so I just quote Gregory :gar-Bi Bas recently posted a thread on making a planer sled if you need to take that route. :wsmile:

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
These were my thoughts also so I just quote Gregory :gar-Bi Bas recently posted a thread on making a planer sled if you need to take that route. :wsmile:
Also my thoughts, so I will just quote Glenn quoting Gregory :)

However I will add that the thinner the material is planed, the more prone it becomes to suffering major damage in the planer: the wood gets thin, it flexes, then it gets creamed by the planer blades. Brittle woods like cherry are especially bad.

You can use double-sided tape to keep the material flat on a sled, but it is a bit of a pain in the rear to deal with the tape.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS