The trek begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Mission accomplished. Details to follow later today, with pictures.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
:worthless:

:banana::pepper::beardedbanana::beachbanana: :beardedbanana::beachbanana::banana: :beardedbanana:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
They're baaaaacccckkk.........

Wow - what a trip! Friday AM we hit the road a little after 10, after double checking all of the fluids, tires, etc on the truck and trailer.

Here are the Road Warriors about to depart on the trek:

IMG_3092.JPG

We had smooth sailing on the way up, stopping in Virginia to acquire some truck tarps and accessories that I'd purchased on Craigslist. We were able to skate through DC right before rush hour (but sure felt sad for those folks headed south - traffic was backed up for miles), and arrived at the hotel around 8 ish Friday night.

Saturday AM dawned, and we went in search of that warmer weather. Unfortunately, when the door to the room was opened, it was a balmy 16 degrees.... BELOW ZERO!!! Yup, that wasn't a typo, that -16 and we ain't talking wind chill either.

Fortunately, the hotel was very accommodating, and we found this secondary heating device right outside of my room.

really_really_cold.JPG

We almost needed it too, as I left my camera inside the truck overnight and it was frozen... literally.

the_great_north_american_whacko.JPG

But, things got better.

We arrived at Grizzly a few minutes before they opened, and Bas posed for the obligatory Grizz photo:

grizzly_bas_1.JPG

After that, we went inside and to say the least they really rolled out the red carpet for Bas and me.

It seemed like EVERYBODY knew who were were; the manager (Kim Andrews) came out and personally greeted us, and he spent around 30 minutes just shooting the breeze and making us feel welcome and comfortable. He assigned us a personal sales rep (Tom, who knew how to walk that fine line between taking care of our needs yet not being a pest!), as well as their senior cashier to make sure that everything went as planned.

IMG_30961.JPG

We spent 4 hours in the showroom, and I can safely say that I would have spent at least 2 -3 hours more (not to mention additional $$$) had Bas not been around to save me from from my fate.

After checking out and settling up, at 12:30 we left the showroom to visit the first of TWO different warehouses where we would load out. It took us almost four hours to load, strap, and tarp the goodies.

Backed into the first warehouse:

truck_empty.JPG

The Horizontal Resaw is loaded first:

loading_resaw_2.JPG

Followed by the other goodies. We then pulled out, snapped this photo, and headed over for warehouse number 2:

IMG_3114.JPG

Here we loaded up some of the smaller items, and tarped down the load in preparation for the long trip home (note that in the photos above and below we've got crates from side to side, and front to back on the trailer...):

IMG_3117.JPG

Here's Bas on the trailer, lamenting the fact that I was still taking photos when it was 4 hours past his lunch time!

IMG_31181.JPG

Everybody that worked at Grizzly could not have been nicer or more helpful. The showroom staff was great, the warehouse folks bent over backwards to make sure that everything was loaded properly and that we had a warm (and dry) place to strap and tarp the load.

After having an extremely late lunch, we hit the road around 5:30 or thereabouts. The trip up and back was uneventful, but it did get a little exciting when we ended up in some little town in PA trying to find diesel and turn around a 65' rig on those narrow, snow and ice covered streets).

We arrived back at the farm at 3:45 this morning, and later this morning I got up and backed the trailer into the QSO building to get it out of the weather.

Whew - what a trip! It's a good thing that Bas decided not to buy any equipment, because there wasn't a whole lot of space left on the trailer deck! We had a great time, talked a TON about woodworking, and life in general. Traveling with Bas is a blast, and the conversation never lagged. All in all one of the best road trips that I've had. Bas, thanks a bunch for joining me on the trip,for all of your help and great ideas! The LOML in particular thanks you for dragging me out of that showroom before I had to take out a third mortgage on the farm to pay for additional purchases!!!

In a few weeks I'll be ready to start uncrating and placing equipment, but in the mean while much work still needs to be done on the building. It's going to be hard to resist the temptation to unwrap all of the equipment right away, but it's best to keep it sealed up while we complete some painting and interior work.

Scott

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I've only got one word to say......COOL !

It looks like it was a great trip, I've always wondered what kind of purchasers make their catalog, now I know.. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures in the 2010 catalog :gar-La;.

M

McRabbet

Scott/Bas,

Isn't that new loading area in the new warehouse the "cat's pajamas" (or the "bomb")? I was very impressed with how easy it was to load up and the guys there were very helpful for me, too (I had to unload a bunch of stuff from my truck for them to load my jointer and then reload). I'll be happy to hear what Bas' first impressions of that showroom was -- the place is totally awesome. Loks like the trip was a stellar success!

GeorgeL

New User
George
Scott,

I'm glad you guys made it home safe. It sure sounds like you had a great trip. Wish I could have been there :tinysmile_cry_t:

Let me know when you need help unpacking...I'll send Alex over :icon_thum

George

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Saturday AM dawned, and we went in search of that warmer weather. Unfortunately, when the door to the room was opened, it was a balmy 16 degrees.... BELOW ZERO!!! Yup, that wasn't a typo, that -16 and we ain't talking wind chill either.
Man it was cold. I've experienced some cold weather in the past, but your brain starts hurting with this kind of temperature.

We arrived at Grizzly a few minutes before they opened, and Bas posed for the obligatory Grizz photo:
...as did Scott...

It seemed like EVERYBODY knew who were were;

No kidding! It's amazing how famous you become when you buy a horizontal resaw machine :) As you may know, there is this big political event this Tuesday. Scott was in the parking lot talking to the president elect, and the Grizzly sales rep next to me says: "Hey, that's Scott Smith, but who's the guy next to him?" :rolf:

OK, maybe not quite that famous, but you get the idea.

n safely say that I would have spent at least 2 -3 hours more (not to mention additional $$$) had Bas not been around to save me from from my fate.
Wel, I was sort of anxious to get going. Believe me, the last thing I want to do is prevent someone from buying tools :eek: But Scott had e-mailed Grizzly a list of big items. And a list of smaller items. And an addendum to the list. And he revised the list while in the showroom. AND loaded up a shopping cart with "snackables".

loading_resaw_2.JPG

EVERYONE who came for tools wandered buy and asked "What the heck is that!". Drooling, eyes glazing, heads shaking in disbelief etc. Of course, this trailer is bigger than Doug Robinson's shop, seeing it fully loaded was definitely one for the record books.

Let me rephrase that - let's face it, Doug's shop ain't that big :gar-La; . Scott's trailer is big enough to haul trailers bigger than Doug's shop

Here's Bas on the trailer, lamenting the fact that I was still taking photos when it was 4 hours past his lunch time!

Need food....GOTTA HAVE FOOD....MUST EAT :help:

but it did get a little exciting when we ended up in some little town in PA trying to find diesel and turn around a 65' rig on those narrow, snow and ice covered streets).
With 12,000 pounds of tools and a 7ft crate sticking out on top, plus a nice cold breeze we had to get diesel quite often. And not everyone sells it. I gotta admit Scott, maneuvering a fully loaded rig through slick back alley's like that, there were a couple of times when I thought - we're going to get stuck. Absolutely awesome job.

Whew - what a trip! It's a good thing that Bas decided not to buy any equipment, because there wasn't a whole lot of space left on the trailer deck!

There was room for a laminate trimmer and at LEAST two clamps. So let's not get carried away here :rolf:

and the conversation never lagged.
Neither of us knows how to shut up.

It was a terrific trip Scott. If and when I built my larger shop, we might be making a similar trip up to Grizzly. A horizontal band saw may not be in the picture, but we should fill up half a trailer :)

J

jeff...

Scott, -16 below zero - it's freaking cold up there I'm glad your back where the temp more tolerable. I bet it was a blast traveling with Bas, side splitting humor.

You just don't look right in this picture
the_great_north_american_whacko.JPG

- what's with all the plastic?

This is more like the Scott we know and love
IMG_3092.JPG

Glad your back, awesome pics and a great traveling companion.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
Glad the trip went well and safe. Hope you get the building squared away soon. Really want to see it up and running.

Wes

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Congrats Scott!!!:eusa_clap Thanks to you and Bas for sharing details of your cool trip. I think your shop should be the headliner for the next shop crawl. :eek:ccasion1
Jim

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
:eek: Man, my gloats are usually something along the lines of "I bought a ___________ today."

Yours involves DRIVING TO PENNSYLVANIA IN -16 DEGREE WEATHER WITH A 64' FLATBED (AND BACK). :swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

I think after this, I'm never posting a gloat ever again. :no:

I'm glad you guys had a good trip and made it back safe. "You Rock" or "You Suck" doesn't pertain to extreme gloats like this. :thumbs_do There are no words in the English language in any combination or quantity that would give you the pats on the back that you deserve, so all I can say is nice score!!! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

PS: Can't wait to see ths shop up and running Scott. :icon_thum

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
:eek: Man, my gloats are usually something along the lines of "I bought a ___________ today."

Yours involves DRIVING TO PENNSYLVANIA IN -16 DEGREE WEATHER WITH A 64' FLATBED (AND BACK). :swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

I think after this, I'm never posting a gloat ever again. :no:

I'm glad you guys had a good trip and made it back safe. "You Rock" or "You Suck" doesn't pertain to extreme gloats like this. :thumbs_do There are no words in the English language in any combination or quantity that would give you the pats on the back that you deserve, so all I can say is nice score!!! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

PS: Can't wait to see ths shop up and running Scott. :icon_thum

Perfectly Stated:gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
So glad that you guys made it back to town safely!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Sounds like an awesome trip..........to say the least!!

Thanks for the excellent documentary and excellent pictures.

Wayne

(Anxiously awaiting the next series....installation.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors