Thank-you Woodworking Showcase '09

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would like to send a personal thanks out to everyone who participated or attended the Klingspor Woodworking Showcase '09. In my eyes it was a huge success. Everything went smoothly, we really showed up in force to help. The demos where well received and quite interesting. I was especially interested in John's (02Blues) Spring Pole lathe and PhilS's Cedar strip canoe demos. But all were excellent and I really appreciate those members that came out and helped in that capacity.
I also really want to thank Jim (Froglips) who helped me a lot in the organization and took all the undesired jobs on, like being there at 7:30 this morning.
I don't know all the specifics, but I do know that NCWW also cleaned up in the competition:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap. There where many members with award winning pieces and two that came away with Best in Show in their class. AlexL cleaned up in the Youth competition for the second year in a row winning 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Best of Show for his pens. And Stephen (Striker) took the Best of Show in the top Open class for his Cherry Serpentine-front Chest with Yellowheart stringing and inlays.

All in all it was a great day, and I am very proud of all the members on this site.
Thanks,
Dave:)

Last edited:

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
It was a great event for many reasons. I enjoyed catching up with some old friends and meeting several members for the first time in person. The quality of the entries was amazing and proved to be very inspiring. Congratulations to all of the winners. :eusa_clap

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I also enjoyed the Showcase!

Phil's canoe demo was awesome. I couldn't stay nearly as long as I would have liked.

I also enjoyed seeing Tom's awesome goody truck the Freud mobile.

Great day and weather too!

Matt

Glennbear

Glenn
It was great seeing NCWW folks face to face again and once more I saw the beautiful work put forth by those with far more talent than me . As someone pointed out, it seemed that as a result of the lean times we are in, fewer bulging bags were leaving the register. :no: It was still nice to drool at all the [STRIKE]toys[/STRIKE] tools :wsmile:

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
The best part of the day for my 4 year old (even above and beyond winning a 3rd place ribbon) was when Scott gave him one of the scroll saw demo candles. When we got home, he told my wife (and I quote)

Mommy, a nice man gave me this candle. That was VERY nice of him!

Thanks Scott, you made Alex's day!

02blues

New User
john
This was a first for me and I had no idea what to expect. You were all very kind and welcoming. Thanks for your encouragement. You are a very talented bunch. Hope to have more to show next time around.

Thanks and cheers.
Special thanks to all the organizers on the team and to the staff at Klingspors too.
John / 02blues:icon_thum
PS is anyone posting photos?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The best part of the day for my 4 year old (even above and beyond winning a 3rd place ribbon) was when Scott gave him one of the scroll saw demo candles. When we got home, he told my wife (and I quote)

Mommy, a nice man gave me this candle. That was VERY nice of him!

Thanks Scott, you made Alex's day!

Tell Alex it was my pleasure. Bring him along next time you stop over. :icon_thum

striker

New User
Stephen
A big thank you to all the folks who gave of their time and energy to make the Showcase a success today. I truly enjoyed meeting fellow woodworkers and also was lucky enough to come away with top honors in the open class.

Given the late hour of this posting, I will try to do more tomorrow but here is a couple photos of my entry at the show.

100_0467.JPG

100_0456.JPG
100_0458.JPG

100_0469.JPG

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
What a wonderful day!

I really enjoyed myself and my Air Lift Mercy Drop of IHOP pancakces (Thanks Scott and Steve).

I truely appreciate the efforts put forth by all the contestents, demonstrators, volunteers, and Judges.

Entries were inspiring. Some, like the beautiful chest from striker, were truely striking. Oh, also heavy :) I challenged him to bring something heavier next year, maybe a highboy or china cupboard :p

I'd also like to thank all of you who turned out to enjoy the show.

Meeting so many new faces, and giving a hard time to old friends makes these get togethers so much fun.

Paul and his staff put forth lots of extra effort. They kept up with the coffee and were kind enough to restock the bathrooms. I think they liked us, as the toilet paper was not replaced with a roll of 80 grit sand paper :)

We share the responsibility for the show with The TWA. They worked so hard behind the scenes to get things ready. Herding cats during the show was loads of fun. I learned a thing or two about crowd control from the pros :) They wouldn't let me use the tear gas though.....

Lastly, a big round of golf claps for DaveO. He took on the big job. He put in a lot of time and effort to round up the NCWW folks. A large part of the success of the show rests on his shoulders.

Thanks again,
Jim

sapwood

New User
Roger
My brief visit yielded great rewards!
As mentioned before the demos, especially Phil's canoe and Jon's lathe, were genuinely intriguing. The woodworking contest entries were overwhelming . . . remarkable design, joinery, and innovation. Most of the ones that didn't win weren't losers :notworthy:

Add the delightful folks from Klingspor, TWA, NCWWer, Tom's tricked out truck, Jim's vegetarian chili, and a sunny afternoon . . . you couldn't ask for more :icon_thum

Roger

GeorgeL

New User
George
Glad you liked the chili :)

There is a photo gallery up for any pics anyone has. GeorgeL is in process of doing a large upload. The gallery was created, 2 minute later he was uploading.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1595

What fun!

Jim

I attempted to photograph all the winners in every category but unfortunately many of the photos did not turn out. I may have a setting incorrect on my camera or I'm having camera issues (I prefer to think it's camera issues :embaresse) Anyway, I apologize if I missed a photo of someone's winning entry. :tinysmile_cry_t:

George

T

toolferone

Yup, like everyone said, it was a great time. New and old faces and oh such beautiful work! I enjoyed showing the truck to you all and helping some folks with cutting tool questions.

In case you missed the truck it will be at the spring picnic. Hope to see lots of people there.

prolfe

New User
Paul Rolfe
Like everyone that has already done here, I would like to thank everyone from ncwoodworker and TWA that volunteered so much of their time in making the 2009 North Carolina Woodworking Showcase the success that it was. It could not have happened without your support. The demonstrations were awesome!!!!

But the people that I would really like to thank are the woodworkers that entered their work for the rest of us to admire. Thank you for sharing it with us. This is, by design, an event for EVERYONE, regardless of your skill level. Yes it is nice to win a ribbon and even better to win some money to go along with it. But the message that I would like to get out to everyone is that it is not about winning Best of Show; it is about sharing your work with your piers and seeing their work. Believe it or not, we WANT TO SEE YOUR WORK. If you spent the time in your shop to make something, WE WANT TO SEE IT! whether you think it is a masterpiece or not.

In 30 plus years as a wood carver, I have been a participant in many wood carving shows just like this Showcase. Win or lose, the one thing that I always took away from the show was inspiration. I could not wait to push myself to learn and enter something better next year.

I would love to hear from anyone and everyone who may have any ideas on what you would like to see at next year's show. Perhaps we need to start the planning process much earlier.

Thanks again for your support,

Paul Rolfe
Klingspor's Woodworking Shop of Raleigh

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I got to meet a lot of folks for the first time :icon_cheers
And I seen a whole lot of beautiful work :eusa_danc

And just had a great time.
Thanks to every one.

Status
Not open for further replies.