Tenons for Eureopean style pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonEve

New User
Don
Hi Guys/Gals,

I bought some Eureopean style pens recently, wanting to expand my horizons! I was reading through the instructions and noticed the "cut tenon to center ring" step. :elvis: Never did that, although I did find out what my parting tool is used for.

Is there a posting on this site or is there an online video that would be helpful with this step? :icon_scra I did a search on youtube, but didn't have any luck. I would hate to ruin a good pen blank by making a newbie mistake.

Don

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Hey Don

It's rather simple ... I think I can explain.

Simply determine the end where the tenon is needed. Then measure in how long the tenon needs to be made & mark it (after a couple, you won't need this step probably). Then with your parting tool slowing plunge into it. As you s l o w l y plunge with the other hand try to slide the tenon bushing ring onto the tenon you are making (this part should have come with the bushings and slides on top of the middle bushing). You have to stop right at the moment it fits ... and being on the snug side is better than the other! If you go too far, you'll have a lose part on the pen ... so take it easy!

If you are lucky, you're parting tool is the exact width of the tenon (3/16?, can't remember).

Good luck!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Many of the Euro pen bushing sets come with a "go/no go" ring that will help you to size the tenon and then shape the rest of the pen afterward. I round the blank out and turn it down a little way. Then size the tenon using a parting tool and the bushing ring. Once the bushing ring can be slid over the tenon you can use it as the bushing to shape the rest of the barrel down to.
Personally I like to have as little metal on my pens as possible so I have abandoned the CB on Euros and make my own wood (and other materials) custom CBs and avoid the whole tenon step all together. You can see a lot of example in my Woodturning album in the photo gallery.
Dave:)

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I'm with Dave here. I usually prefer to make my own bands center pieces etc out of a nice contrast wood insted of the metal rings that come with many kits. I may use one if that's what someone wants. Its easy enough to have an option.
If you aren't careful enough and the ring fits a bit loose you can use a SMALL drop of ca to hold it. I use thin mostly, same with the occassional nib or clip that isn't as snug as you want. (sometimes from disassembling due to my own oopsedness!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS