Tacky after stain

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Working on a project using a minwax oil base stain. Shop has HVAC, so lower humidity and mid 70s temp.

A couple days after applying the stain, some areas still feel a little 'tacky'. I don't recall ever having this happen before. It is quarter sawn red oak.

Not in a huge rush to apply the poly, but I do have a Labor Day weekend delivery date, so I dont have a lot of time to waste.

If it remains a little tacky after a few more days, is it okay to put the Poly on?

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Working on a project using a minwax oil base stain. Shop has HVAC, so lower humidity and mid 70s temp.

A couple days after applying the stain, some areas still feel a little 'tacky'. I don't recall ever having this happen before. It is quarter sawn red oak.

Not in a huge rush to apply the poly, but I do have a Labor Day weekend delivery date, so I dont have a lot of time to waste.

If it remains a little tacky after a few more days, is it okay to put the Poly on?
I would not

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Did you wipe after staining? Did you read the instructions on the can? It’s been my experience that stain needs wiped so it stains, not colors

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Did you wipe after staining? Did you read the instructions on the can? It’s been my experience that stain needs wiped so it stains, not colors
I didnt come behind with a clean rag. That could be the issue. I did go over it several times with the oiled rag to wipe it down and even it up, maybe I didnt get enough removed in some of the areas.

Ugh

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
+ on the mineral spirits wipe down. As an added precaution, I’d wipe on thin coat of shellac before you poly.
The mineral spirits wipe down helped tremendously. Thanks for that tip!

I then sprayed a thin layer of clear shelllac. It is the waxed kind. Will that cause any issues with the poly? Didnt think about that potential issue till after of course.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Zinnsers Clear Coat is de waxed as well as the Zinnsers spray can of shellac.
Thanks, just read the entire can and it didnt mention being waxed. It is the Zinnsers Bulls Eye rattle can. Looks like Im good. Whew.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS