Table Saw purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

idle15

New User
Idle
I am trying to get necessary tools for a good woodworking shop. I'm looking at table saws now, and found the Jet JET JPS-10XL52SW on sale for $999. I see that most of you suggest the cast iron wings, but that's $200 more and over my budget. Would I go wrong to purchase the steel wing model JET JPS-10XL52SW? I think this is the best buy for the money at this time. Anyone disagree? All comments are greatly appreciated.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I used steel wings for a long time then got a set of solid surface cast iron. The cast iron is nicer to work on because the whole saw is one continuous surface, I don't accidentally tilt short pieces of wood when I cross cut.

You could always upgrade later, but for most things it doesn't make a huge difference.

I wouldn't pay $200 more if there were other things I needed.

dave

New User
Dave
Hey,

I just bought the Jet with steel wings a couple weeks ago. I had wanted the cast iron wings as well, but Woodcraft did not have any in stock, so I went with the steel wings. So far they have not been a problem, but like Mike said, I could see where you could tilt up some work pieces.

Overall, I am very, very happy with the saw, but I will still upgrade the wings down the road.

Dave

cpw

New User
Charles
I was listening to Wood Talk Online a few days ago (I forget which episode) and Marc was talking about table saw flatness in general, and in his opinion, with wood being what it is, the geometry that really mattered was the surface up close to the blade. If the wings were just a tiny bit off it really would not make a difference in the cut. As long as the wings are aligned to support the work and don't allow it to drop away from or tilt into the blade I think you're fine. And as Dave said, you can always upgrade later.

My issue with them is the uneven surface of the stamped steel. It's the same problem I've had with the web style cast wings: I've cut a lot of odd stuff like foam, plexi, and salvaged wood that doesn't always lay flat, and the corners just love to drop into those crevices and keep the piece from moving forward in alignment with the blade - kickback city!

If you don't like the steel wings you can always build an extra-wide extension out of wood and laminate and fuss with aligning that.

striker

New User
Stephen
You mite try watching your local CL for a used saw if a used machine is a concideration.

Stephen

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
+1 for Craigs list.

I bought a used unisaw in great shape and upgraded the guard and put a woodworker II blade and still have less than that saw sells for new. I have found that there are alot of saws out there that have been used for hobby use and many haven't been used much at all (mostly sitting in the shop collecting dust). you might consider getting a good used one, you can get much more saw for less and unless it has been used alot in a commercial setting, it will last you a lifetime. I have seen almost new 3hp saws selling for 6-700. That way you can get the cast wings and have enough left to add something else to your shop.

decibel

New User
Patrick
+1 for Craigs list.

I bought a used unisaw in great shape and upgraded the guard and put a woodworker II blade and still have less than that saw sells for new. I have found that there are alot of saws out there that have been used for hobby use and many haven't been used much at all (mostly sitting in the shop collecting dust). you might consider getting a good used one, you can get much more saw for less and unless it has been used alot in a commercial setting, it will last you a lifetime. I have seen almost new 3hp saws selling for 6-700. That way you can get the cast wings and have enough left to add something else to your shop.

+1 Well stated Brad. The used table saw market is a great way to get a lot of saw for the $$.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
What ever you do NEVER get cast iron wings with holes or slots in them.

One kickback with you finger a little too low and you are suddenly missing a finger tip.

idle15

New User
Idle
Thanks for all the good advise. I just found the one in Maryville on Craigs List and gonna check it out. Thanks again.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
I second what Vetteman said. I purchased my Jet cabinet saw, 7 foot rails, on Raleigh craigslist for 950 (oops, LOML purchased it for me). It was two years old. I have now had it for 2.5 years.

tv

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
Is the problem with the steel wings sagging? I saw a tip in a magazine where the guy put thin metal shims between the saw and the wing from underneeth before he finished tightening the bolts. Don;t know if this will help guys with steel wings or not.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Why don't you just "make" extension wings? When I had the "open" wings several years ago I simply made my own. I built a frame and covered it with melamine. Worked great. I upgraded several years ago, but if I had to do it over, that is what I would do.
Jim in Mayberry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS