Table Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Last month I was really concerned about cupping of cherry table top.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4470

After reading all of the responses, I decided to rip the boards to 6" wide, primarily so that I could get a flat side on my jointer before hitting my thickness planer. After gluing up the top and finishing both sides with Waterlox, the top has remained very stable and flat.

I applied 4 coats of Waterlox - no stain. (I kinda wish it had turned out a little darker, but otherwise happy with it.) Here is a picture of the finished table.

Shaker_Table.jpg

Thanks for lookin' and all of that great advice regarding the dreaded wood cupping!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wayne, that looks really good :eusa_clap :eusa_clap More details on it's construction, please. Don't worry the Cherry will darken up nicely in a little time, to a color that we can't duplicate...aged Cherry.

Dave:)

J

jeff...

Nice table! Look at that baby glow, nice finish to. Over the years it will darken, like Dave said "to a color that we can't duplicate...aged Cherry".

Monty

New User
Monty
Looks great! I'm working on a pair of tables like this right now... hopefully mine will turn out half as good as yours.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
More details on it's construction, please. Don't worry the Cherry will darken up nicely in a little time, to a color that we can't duplicate...aged Cherry.

Dave:smile:

Well. Construction? Pretty simple, really. (Am tryin' to work myself into a few more challenges.:lol: )

All was 4/4 cherry except the legs which I cut from 8/4 using a tapering jig/sled on my TS. The top panel I glued up using 3/8” x 1 ½” dowels’ primarily for alignment. I used a 2 ½” thumbnail table edge bit in my router table to take some of the bulk off of the tabletop edge. I also used dowels to attach the four legs to the sides and back. I used biscuits to attach the drawer supports. Attaching the top to the sides was easy using those z-clip thinga-ma-jigs.

I used ½” poplar and ¼” plywood for the drawer box. (I did goof up the halfblind DT’s a bit – tearout at the top edge. One of these days I will have the PC DT jig mastered!!)

Drawer.jpg

The drawer itself is just riding on the drawer support with a strip of that sticky backed hard plastic tape.

Thanks for the feedback and looking forward to seeing this cherry age!

Wayne

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Nothing wrong with those dovetails Wayne. Beautiful cherry table. Sit it on the porch and let it soak up the sun, that will also help to speed the aging process, so I am told.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Wayne-Don't worry about wishing to have stained it darker. It will darken on it's own as time goes on and it is exposed to the light.:)
Beautiful job!!!

Jerry

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice. Is it your design or from a plan?

DaveT

Actually DaveT, it is from a plan published in American Woodworker magazine (#119 January 2006) that I modified a little bit.

Thanks

Wayne

T

toolferone

Wayne, it looks great! I remember reading the FAQ's of a different fourm and the question was asked "How do you stain Cherry?" answer "You don't" As others have said it will turn the most beautiful color all on its own. Cherry is my favorite wood.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I know that cherry darkens with the more direct sunlight it get exposure too. Look at the inside after a couple months and compare the color, it will be a bit darker.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Wayne, I've worked with a few different woods and have found it difficult to get away from cherry. When I look at a project, one of the first thoughts is, "Why not make it from cherry?" As many have mentioned, it will darken. Bear in mind that the little angel on the table will leave a lighter spot as the rest of the surface darkens.
You did a beautiful job tapering the legs. Congratulations.
Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS