State fans will love what I did to my lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have the Rockler Excelsior, which is the same casting as the PSI Turncrafter lathes. Rockler sells the extension for $70 (to be fair, it is often on sale for $60) plus shipping and it ain't light. It is about $80 or more to the door from Rockler. The PSI can be ordered through Amazon for $42 and shipping is free. Fits perfectly, just one little minor cosmetic issue - it's a completely different color:

lathe_ext.JPG

I thought about painting it, but I will wait (if I ever do it at all) until I have turned a few things. If there is a hidden crack in the casting, they would probably want it to be red when they got it back. :) I doubt seriously there will be any problem.

You long time turners will get a chuckle out of why I got this. One item i planned to make is a one piece medieval alto recorder that is about 17.5" long. I got a lathe that is 18" between centers, so no problem, right? :wrolleyes:

EDIT - I probably ought to shoot another pic, but I am lazy. If you look close, the alignment is off in this picture because I have not tightened it yet. After shooting this picture, I moved the tailstock to right over the seam, tightened it and then tightened the bolts. I moved it off and the seam is perfect. It slides right across.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
A second picture. the alignment is correct now and another minor gloat item is shown - the drill chuck. Background makes it look like it it dips, but it is straight; I moved it up to touch the spur drive and it is at the same height when pulled all the way back. Between the 1' long bit and the spur drive is 23". I need to put my small part chuck on and measure. I also have the parts to make a steady rest, so I have the things I need to bore recorders (and forum readers :) ).

lathe_ext1.JPG

Edit - I couldn't resist trying a test piece. I have determined the stady rest is not optional...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS