starter thickness planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kclark

New User
Kevin
I am looking at getting my first thickness planer. I was looking at the dewalt 735 at lowes and also the steel city 40300H with the helical cutters. I have tried finding a stationary machine on CL but havent found anything yet. Any recommendations.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I own the Dewalt and I am very happy with it. Make sure to get the option table extensions.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I switched my 8" jointer from cutter knives to a spiral head and could never go back. Not having ever used the steel city planer I cant comment directly but if my delta 13" planer breaks I am replacing it with some version of a spiral head planer...the steel city one is on my list.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Most of the lunchbox ("portable") planers from the major manufacturers seem to be very good now. I doubt you could go wrong with any of them.

That said, if $450 for a planer will leave you with enough money to buy wood, I'd take this ad to Lowes and tell them to take 10% off...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100011483&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100011483&ci_kw={keyword}&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-100011483&ci_gpa=pla&locStoreNum=3631

-Mark

ehpoole

Ethan
I'll put in another vote for the DW735 -- Ive certainly enjoyed mine.

It (or any other portable planer) is even nicer if you upgrade it with the Wixey digital thickness gauge.

kclark

New User
Kevin
That said, if $450 for a planer will leave you with enough money to buy wood, I'd take this ad to Lowes and tell them to take 10% off...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100011483&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100011483&ci_kw={keyword}&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-100011483&ci_gpa=pla&locStoreNum=3631

-Mark
I tried your link, but nothing is coming up. What is it?

By the way, I looked at Lowes ad today for Labor Day, they are offering 18 months no interest.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
You won't go wrong with a 735, but you should also buy the in and out feed tables. They really help to minimize snipe.

If you don't have a shop dust collector (not a shop vac) you should also buy the dust collector hose accessory. The first time that I tried my new 735 I didn't yet have the tables or the dust hose yet. I fed a short piece of 2X4 through it while it was sitting on my workbench in the middle of my shop. The chips coming out hit the wall on the other side of my shop (about 15' away) at an almost horizontal angle and I had a huge mess to clean up. There is a chip vacuum/blower built into the 735, so all you really need is the accessory hose with the fabric barrel cover on the end of it and a large metal or plastic garbage can to collect the chips. With this connected you will have almost no chips to clean up. They will all be in the can.

With the tables and some provision for collecting chips, the 735 will be one of your best shop purchases. Snipe is almost non-existent and at the finishing speed the surface of the wood coming out is so smooth that it's ready for a light sanding and immediate use in your project.

The 735 is my third planer, and by far the best one.

Charley

Len

New User
Len
Maybe I'm the odd man out, but what I bought from HD was the Rigid R4330 13in thickness planer for $399.00. Same horsepower as the DW735 and the In Feed/Out Feed tables are included with the unit, not extras you have to buy. I've been very happy with it.

Len

kommon_sense

New User
Tavaris
I completely forgot that Lowes did the match + 10%. Thanks for the reminder! I just got back from lowes with my $445 + tax dw735 :)

Thanks again!

Most of the lunchbox ("portable") planers from the major manufacturers seem to be very good now. I doubt you could go wrong with any of them.

-Mark

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I may upgrade to that planner one of these days. For now I use a Ryobi AP-10, the original lunchbox planner, I bought used for $100. I sharpened the blades and it works well. It does not have the dust collection hood so I just use it outside on the driveway. It has planned several hundred board feet for me so far. I have the optional rollers and built a little base for it and the snipe is tolerable. The inconsistency in thickness is more of a concern but not enough to cause me to spend $400-500 on a replacement - yet.

Jim

kclark

New User
Kevin
I completely forgot that Lowes did the match + 10%. Thanks for the reminder! I just got back from lowes with my $445 + tax dw735 :)

Thanks again!

Did Lowe's say anything about price matching HD? The HD price was stated as online only. Just wondering. I am looking at also buying another unit that a member on here is selling for about $200 more.

kclark

New User
Kevin
I can't find my answer, but does the 735 have powered rollers that feed the stock thru or is it all manual?

I am also looking at buying a used Jet 13" planer. Just waiting on the seller to contact me back. I am buying one this weekend whether it is the 735 or something else by labor day. I am heading to South Carolina by labor day as well to pick up some sweet black walnut for a heck of a price too. busy labor day weekend.

ehpoole

Ethan
I brought a color printout of the item page and didn't have any hassle at all. I was in and out of the store in just a few minutes

It's odd, but whether any of our URL links work or fail seems to depend entirely upon which random HD web server one's PC happens to connect with.

Anyhow, on the website the following text does appear:
This item does not qualify for free shipping.
Online Special Valid: 08/18/2011 - 09/05/2011
So it is, technically, an online-only special... but it is in small print and you are not exactly obligated to call attention to it. Otherwise, if it comes down to it, try to see if they'll do a price match for an online in-store pickup on the DW735... Only 2 more days until the sale expires!

This is a great price for a brand new Dewalt DW735 13" Thickness Planer, so if you have been wanting one this is definitely the time to take the plunge -- they regularly sell for $100-$200 more than the $445 Lowes 10% Price Match. Don't forget to pickup a spare set of 13" blades (about $50) -- and verify that you get the correct blades -- they don't always have them in-stock if you wait until you actually need them! Each set of knives is double-sided so you get two uses out of each knife set.

ehpoole

Ethan
I can't find my answer, but does the 735 have powered rollers that feed the stock thru or is it all manual?

...and...

By the way, did Lowes have the in feed and outfeed tables in stock?

Kclark,

1) The DW735 has two rubber-lined power feed rollers (you will want to clean them periodically). The only manual items on the DW735 are 1) blade changes, 2) height adjustment, 3) selecting the hi-speed (96 cuts/inch) or low-speed (179 cuts/inch) transmission (feed) speed, and 4) flipping the power switch on-off. There is no cutterhead lock, as with some other models, it is automatic on the DW735.

2) So far as I am aware, no Lowes or Home Depot has ever carried the extension tables. I've had good luck without them, though my DW735 is mounted on a Delta Portable Miter Saw/Planer collapsible mobile base which includes a single infeed and outfeed roller at each end (which I have set to be level with the DW735's bed).

If you want the optional extension tables then they are available from many Woodcraft stores or they can be purchased from a number of online vendors (including Amazon).

3) An optional third-party accessory I highly recommend (for the DW735 or any other portable thickness planer) is the Wixey Digital Planer Height Readout. I have an earlier version of this Wixey model and love it. They are a bit of work to install the first time, especially if you permanently attach it to the planer (as opposed to using much less reliable double-sided tape). I mounted the Wixey's scale to my DW735 with rivets to ensure it never drifts out of alignment with respect to the bed.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Kclark,

3) An optional third-party accessory I highly recommend (for the DW735 or any other portable thickness planer) is the Wixey Digital Planer Height Readout. I have an earlier version of this Wixey model and love it. They are a bit of work to install the first time, especially if you permanently attach it to the planer (as opposed to using much less reliable double-sided tape). I mounted the Wixey's scale to my DW735 with rivets to ensure it never drifts out of alignment with respect to the bed.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

+1 for adding the Wixey Digital Planer Height Readout. I can't say enough about how helpful it is, especially when I need to remake or make one more piece just like the others.

If you can't get what you want through the big box stores,Tool King (internet store) has a brand new combo for $569 including the infeed/outfeed tables, a set of extra blades, no sales tax and free shipping. http://www.toolking.com/dewalt-dw735x-13-inch-planer-package-with-tables-extra-knives. I bought this same deal last year.

bobby g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS