Staining the pool deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
It's not often I plug a product unless I'm really pleased with it. My hats off to Benjamin Moore for their hardwood finish 321. Those who know me know to me stain is like a bad 4 letter word. I have never had any success staining wood, I was never very happy with the results. I've tried lots of wood stains too even some high end professional stains when I used to refinish furniture. I always opted for dyes and toner coats until now :)

I first bleached the entire deck with dollar general brand bleach straight from the bottle. I soaked the deck down with the garden hose to wash away any bleach and let the deck dry the rest of the day and over night, It turned the eastern red cedar white. Then I started staining this morning, right off the bat, I could tell this was a awesome product it flowed out like a dream. I had a rag to wipe up and puddles. The rag actually started smoking, so I ditched that idea and put the rag in a can of water for fear it would catch fire. You know you got good stuff when your drip rag starts smoking :gar-La;. Also I had a second gallon of stain sitting outside, when I went to take the lid off it. It went woosh like a can of old gasoline used to do when you opened it. :eek:

I went with the mahogany color, it's a deep dark red and actually matches pretty close to fresh cut Eastern Red Cedar. Seeing the stain is transparent you actually see a lot of the natural cedar grain. I really like the color and the product.

Again thanks to Benjamin Moore for a awesome deck stain :thumbs_up

I'll snap some pics tomorrow so you can see with your owe eyes what a good product Benjamin Moore put out...

Thanks

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Interesting idea on first bleaching the deck. Can't wait to see the pics!

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
OK...WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DID YOU DO TO JEFF??!?!?!?!?!!!

Jeff Mills using STAIN!?!?!?!?!??!! What's this world coming to!!

BTW...
:worthless:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Here's a in progress pic - you can see how dark gray the old eastern red cedar had become.

pool_deck.jpg

Here's what bleach straight from the bottle does to old ERC - cleaned it right up

P10100603.JPG

Some contrasting photos Stain vers bleached ERC

P10100593.JPG

P10100584.JPG

and... after two years It's finally DONE

P10100612.JPG

The rails are semi-trans natural redwood with poly (Ace Hardware) stain

The deck and skirt boards are mahogany Benjamin Moore hardwood finish 321

I really like the contrasting stain colors but the Ace brand Stain sure ain't Benjamin Moore 321

Thanks

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Jeff
Did you apply thompsons or anything after the stain, or is the BM also a preservative?
I know cedar stands up pretty well outside, but... would I just be wasting money?
That does look pretty good!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff
Did you apply thompsons or anything after the stain, or is the BM also a preservative?
I know cedar stands up pretty well outside, but... would I just be wasting money?
That does look pretty good!

The link to the BM site in the first post of this thread says "A water repellent coating" It does bead water that much I can say.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS