Stackable end tables *UPDATED WITH NEW PICS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
Re: Stackable end tables *IN PROGRESS*

Bas,

The tables are coming along very nicely, can't wait to see them all finished. I really need to make a tapering jig like your, it looks like it is very functional and safe to use. It is good see you got off the computer and in to the shop!

Regards,

Bill

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Re: Stackable end tables *IN PROGRESS*

Bas, I've used pocket screws thru the aprons to hold tops. Screw 'em in and back off some.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Boy it's been almost three weeks since I did anything on these tables! But since it is going to be so nice outside this weekend, I was determined to get things assembled.

I started by doing partial glue-ups (good Advice Wayne...). I gotta say, those dowel joints fit beautiful.

Next I took the sub-assemblies and made tables out of them.

Everything came out straight and square for a change, without the usual glueup frenzy and deadblow pounding.

Here you can see the groove I cut for the Z-clips. I thought about using screw blocks, but decided to go with Z-clips for a variety of reasons.

I cut the groove on the table saw, using a regular 7 1/4" ripping blade. This blade has a very thin kerf that fit perfectly with the Z-clips. Procedure is the same as with a router table - mark the start, drop the work piece onto the blade, and cut until you hit the stop block.

(I did cut one slot on the wrong side of the apron, but fortunately, both sides were pretty enough I could just flip it.)

For the edge, I wanted to do a thumbnail. That was a great excuse to buy a new router bit :) Unfortunately, the full profile is too big for an end table like this (see the picture, the other bit it a 1/8" roundover, for comparison). Per DaveO's advice, I simply used the outer part (via the fence, not via a larger bearing, but same result), then knocked off the sharp edge with a block plane. I'm very pleased with the result! (Yes Scott, you can have your roundover bit back now, got my own - thanks for the loan! :icon_thum)

Here are all three tables, ready for finishing.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Lookin' good "The Bas"!:icon_thum I love that wood.
You may have already said, but what finish are you going with?
As nice as this weather is, you should be able to finish those up this weekend, Huh?:slap:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
They're coming together very nicely there, Bas!!!:icon_cheers:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:icon_cheers

I really like the profile you did on the top. Did you do any kind of a roundover on the aprons and legs to knock off the sharp edge?

Great weekend for the finishing .............. outside!!!:wsmile::wsmile:

Don't ya love it when a plan comes together?!

Great walk through of your process too, by the way!!!

Thanks for the update.

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You ain't done yet, what you been doing...running a website :roll::roll:
They look great, I can't wait to see them with a finish that will bring out the color.

Dave:)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
coming along nicely "THE BAS".:gar-La; you will be glad you used the clips. sycamore moves a LOT!:rotflm:

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Very nice, Bas! I like the addition of the table edge profile.

tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS