Splint's First Jewelry Box (or attempt at one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
As a relatively new woodworker, here is my first attempt at making a Jewelry box.

Featuring:

Golden Oak stained Oak case
Zebrawood drawer fronts and dovetail joints
Walnut turned knobs, case back and drawer dividers
Tan velour lined drawers

All finished with 3 coats of tongue oil.

Very challenging. Made for our 9th anniversery upon meeting my wife.

Thanks for looking! If pictures do not show there in my pic gallery

Matt

Zebrawood_Jewelry_Box_1.JPG

Zebrawood_Jewelry_Box_1.JPG

Zebrawood_Jewelry_Box_2JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Matt very nice! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I like the contrast of the different woods. \

Your pic doesn't show up, maybe check DaveO's recently added/updated Pic tutorial and you'll have them in there in no time. Trust me, if I can do it anyone can do it!! :gar-Bi

Brian.

sapwood

Roger
Corporate Member
Looking good Matt :icon_thum
I'll give you an assist on the photo this time . . . but next time you are on your own :mrgreen:

Roger

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Beautiful Matt! I like the sculpted areas on the top... very nice touch. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

DavidF

New User
David
Those are interesting looking DT's on the drawers Matt, especially the bottom one, looks like something weird going on there, DT's in two directions, so what's the scoop???

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Matt, that looks great :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I really like the sculptured top. I assume you used a router to hollow it out. What kind of bit??

Dave:)

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Still learning how to use my dovetail jig accurately. Good catch. The bottom right front joint got blown out with the router. Didn't notice until almost done. By then I was getting project ADD and wanted to move on.

LOL

As far as the sculptured top, I used a 1 1/4 by 3/4 (Woodline)roundnose bit. I wasn't concerned about getting perfectly flat, because the wavy grain of the wood would still make it look uneven. I also wanted it to looK "wavy". To sort of compliment the waviness of the Zebra Wood Also the flat top made the project look like a Toaster more than anything else.

I bought the set from Amazon. Free shipping and @35 for 5 or 6pc set.

Wohoo ! I love the Amazon

!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Matt, I really like the box. If this is your first attempt, it is a great one!!

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Truly, honest, first attempt at anything this small. It seems the smaller the project, the harder it is.

Oh, and BTW, I forgot to mention this, except for plywood drawer bottoms was made from all 4/4 stock, resawed.

I think this is what made it so difficult. Wood movement and all.

Thanks again for all your kind feedback

Last edited:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Matt, I hope my first attempt at a jewelry box looks half as good as yours. That thing looks great and I really like the top. Excellent work! :icon_thum

J

jeff...

Small boxes are tough ervything needs to be "just right" you did it just right very nice indeed

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Matt that finished out real nice. The top came out super. Guys I saw the WIP. He did great on his first box. :thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS