Spar Varnish on cedar split rail fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

reprosser

New User
Rick
I am installing ~ 1000 feet of fence, and the wife wants to varnish to keep the color longer. Would probably recoat each year or so - depending.

I am NOT planning to brush coat that much fence, so I am looking at spray options. Maybe a Wagner airless painter would work?

Anyone have any experience in this area? Suggestions? Low cost options preferred :gar-La;

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I have quite a bit of of cedar board fence on the farm, and looked into this myself a few years back. What I discovered is that cedar changes color due to UV rays, and a clear spar varnish will not stop the color change (although it may slow it down a bit). Your options are to stain it (the darker the stain - ie the more pigment - the longer it will last).

The best stain that I could find was made by TWP.

Hope this helps.

Scott

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I opted not to put anything on it. The cedar has turned an attractive (and natural looking) silver color, and since it is naturally rot resistant a protectant is not required.

This also helps to prevent the need for long-term maintenance (ie regular retreating).

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I'm with Scott,you would be better to let nature take its course.I have built a lot of things from bird feeders to planter to outdoor furniture and never put any finish on it and the longer its out there there better it looks.just my 2cents

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
If you choose to put a finish on it you should consider renting a sprayer. A lot of paint stores in my area rent them. Used to be around $40/day, but I haven't checked into them in years. Still cheaper than buying, and you will probably be able to rent a fairly nice one.

I don't know how cedar does with pressure washing but most woods look reasonably new after washing. If you leave it natural you may be able to pressure wash it after a few years to restore some color. The treated pine on my front porch is 11 years old. I've pressure washed once and It still looks pretty good.

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
I've used Sikkens Cetol SRD semi-transparent on some of my cedar outdoor projects with very good results. Vertical fence surfaces should hold up pretty good, plus its oil based so re-coating in the future is easier than the pigmented water-based fence stains.

reprosser

New User
Rick
I discussed some of the comments with the wife, and she agrees that the continued maintenance might be an issue - so WE :nah: decided that the fence will be great as-is, and will weather beautifully. No varnish on the fence.

thanks for the responses.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
If you choose to put a finish on it you should consider renting a sprayer. A lot of paint stores in my area rent them. Used to be around $40/day, but I haven't checked into them in years. Still cheaper than buying, and you will probably be able to rent a fairly nice one.

I don't know how cedar does with pressure washing but most woods look reasonably new after washing. If you leave it natural you may be able to pressure wash it after a few years to restore some color. The treated pine on my front porch is 11 years old. I've pressure washed once and It still looks pretty good.

This is a subject I should have asked about, good info.

Now I have a three or 4 year old fence, I believe it's cedar as it is a silver/gray color. And it has got some green algae on it from when it rains alot.

Can I pressure wash this? And would I use straigt water or add a detergent? Also I have a few boards that warped, well the 4x4 warped and the fence is leaning quite a bit. Anyway to fix that?

I have been thinking of putting a new 4x4, but didn't want it looking too much different than the grey boards.

Thanks

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
This is a subject I should have asked about, good info.

Now I have a three or 4 year old fence, I believe it's cedar as it is a silver/gray color. And it has got some green algae on it from when it rains alot.

Can I pressure wash this? And would I use straigt water or add a detergent? Also I have a few boards that warped, well the 4x4 warped and the fence is leaning quite a bit. Anyway to fix that?

I have been thinking of putting a new 4x4, but didn't want it looking too much different than the grey boards.

Thanks

You can definitely pressure wash cedar, with either straight water or a detergent. I use one of Northern Tool's "Turbo nozzle's" in my pressure washer, and it does a great job. Be careful not to linger too long in one spot though; the turbo nozzle can cut a hole right through the cedar (at least it can with a 4000 psi pressure washer!).

Re fixing the warped 4 x 4, yes it's possible but not necessarily in an attractive way... One thing that I have noticed about my fences is that they will move in and out a bit due to expansion/contraction of the fence rails.

I recall that you can treat the wood with a solution to age it? Perhaps someone familiar with this can chime in.

Scott

Scott

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
You can definitely pressure wash cedar, with either straight water or a detergent. I use one of Northern Tool's "Turbo nozzle's" in my pressure washer, and it does a great job. Be careful not to linger too long in one spot though; the turbo nozzle can cut a hole right through the cedar (at least it can with a 4000 psi pressure washer!).

Re fixing the warped 4 x 4, yes it's possible but not necessarily in an attractive way... One thing that I have noticed about my fences is that they will move in and out a bit due to expansion/contraction of the fence rails.

I recall that you can treat the wood with a solution to age it? Perhaps someone familiar with this can chime in.

Scott

Scott

I've seen the "aging" solution on DIY - the take a landscaper home show - they used it to age some new panels to match old ones.

Definitely agree with using care w/the pressure washer - especially on cedar. There are plenty of cleaners that you can spray to get rid of the algae w/varying levels of chemical strength in case you have to worry about landscaping/grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS