Solid Wood Chest of Drawers (80" long x 48" tall) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Well, I've moved into working on my next commissioned peice. It is a solid wood chest of drawers. The primary wood is genuine mahogany with maple drawers and some poplar used for dust frames. The peice will be 48" tall 80" long and 22" deep with 24 drawers and a section for A/V equipment. A definite one of a kind design. :D This is a BIG piece.

Since this chest is so large I have to do 80% of the jointery by hand. This will include the half blind dovetails for the case work and the sliding dovetails for the cross supports. They are just too long for my Leigh and too long to run upright on a router table although I might over come that buy building a horizonal router table. I am enjoying the hand work though. I'm going to do a complete writeup on my website at http://www.jsrwoodworking.com/Chestofdrawers/mahoganychestofdrawers.htm

Here are a couple top pics of the work I've done so far. It took me all day today to do the two joints for the bottom of the case. 22" wide hand cut half blind dovetails takes time. :D
bottomdovetailcomplete_small.jpg

Here was my short cut for layout. :D A plotter and CAD can save you some time.

templateandsockets.jpg

Keep watching my website. I plan on keeping pretty current updates.

Thanks,

John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, WG that is a lot of work. I squared up the corners of some router cut rabbets, and that felt like it took forever. It would take me a year of weekends to do just what you've done. Looking forward to your progress updates.
Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Great start there!!! I'm really envious. A project like that is my ultimate goal! Maybe one day...

First question (many more to come from me, I'm sure ;-) ): Why use half blind DT's on the case? I thought through DT's, then cover with molding.... ?

M

McRabbet

Yet one more example of the beautiful work you produce -- nice work. You'll please that client, that's for sure!

woodguy1975

New User
John
Monty, I did a lot of reading on this subject. I used to think that through was the way to go. When you do through dovetails and attach molding the molding will pull away from the case as expansion and contraction kicks in and the end grain of the dovetails moves differently than the pins. If you want the molding to stay tight yet have a beautiful joint to look at the half blind is the solution. Now the molding will stay tight year round and you still have a very pleasing joint. It was one of Lonnie Birds books that convinced me to go this route. He is the man when it comes to period furniture.

See ya,

John

insomniac said:
Great start there!!! I'm really envious. A project like that is my ultimate goal! Maybe one day...

First question (many more to come from me, I'm sure ;-) ): Why use half blind DT's on the case? I thought through DT's, then cover with molding.... ?

Monty

New User
Monty
You da man! HBDT's are harder to do, but will save you from having to do tricky dovetail keys for the molding later! NICE! :cool:

EDIT: Oh, wait... nevermind. You'll still have to do dovetail keys for the molding, because of crossgrain situation.

Last edited:

woodguy1975

New User
John
Right, I still have to do the dovetail keys for the molding. That is the only way to solve the cross grain situation. The end grain of the through dovetails can expand and contract differently so sometimes they are flush and other times they may be proud or pulled back. If they go proud during an expansion cycle they will creat a small gap between the molding and the chest side and the molding that is not attractive. I'm just taking measures to ensure the chest looks good all year round.

Check out the latest Popular Woodworking. There is an article from Lonnie Bird. I actually think this is where I read about the through dovetails and the molding. HBDTs do take more time to cut, but really aren't any harder. :icon_thum

Thanks,

John

insomniac said:
You da man! HBDT's are harder to do, but will save you from having to do tricky dovetail keys for the molding later! NICE! :cool:

EDIT: Oh, wait... nevermind. You'll still have to do dovetail keys for the molding, because of crossgrain situation.
:icon_thum

Last edited:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Looking good John....looking good.:icon_thum You do really nice work and we can all learn a lot from you. I look forward to seeing the in-progress pix as well as reading the full write up.

D L

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That's a very impressive piece you are working on, WG.

Thanks for sharing the experience with us. I look forward to seeing it go together.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Today, I've added a lot more info an pics on cutting out the tails on my website at http://www.jsrwoodworking.com/Chestofdrawers/mahoganychestofdrawers.htm

One thing I did do is regrind on of my old marples chisels into a dovetail chisel. It is essential for cleaning out the tails.

dovetailchiselgrind.jpg

Here is a quick sketch of what I am making. I do have a 3-D model, but don't really have time to complete it all the way so I'm just working from the sketch.

chestdrawing.jpg

Thanks,

John

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Nice John. Thanks for posting the sketch. That is going to be one big piece of fine furniture when you finish it.

D L

b4man

New User
Barbara
John, Are you going to do a joinery workshop anytime soon? I'd love to takeit. Beautiful work!
Barbara

woodguy1975

New User
John
We could no problem. I just want to have interest from 3-4 people to schedule something. :) Anyone else interested in a jointery course? Heck if anyone is in the area they are welcome to just stop by. :lol:

I'm trying to keep a really detailed writeup on my website to aid as a how to as well. I think what I have on it right now is pretty good. :)

Thanks,

John

b4man

New User
Barbara
If you get enough interest, please notify me in case I miss the thread or can't be on line for a few days.
I'm going to be away from tomorrow through Saturday. Thanks!
Barbara

M

McRabbet

woodguy1975 said:
We could no problem. I just want to have interest from 3-4 people to schedule something. :) Anyone else interested in a jointery course? Heck if anyone is in the area they are welcome to just stop by. :lol:

I'm trying to keep a really detailed writeup on my website to aid as a how to as well. I think what I have on it right now is pretty good. :)

Thanks,

John
John, I'll gladly give up my slot in the next Maloof Chair class for a spot in a joinery class. Or period furniture class. I just love the post by B4man that follows -- I could start a class .... whenever! :lol: Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow John, I like the idea of using drawer slides for the sled mechanism. Impressed as usual:icon_thum

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS