Reggie,
Looks like you've got a good start on a great challenge. :thumbsup:
Nothing ventured, nothing gained . . .

:eek:ccasion1 Roger

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Reggie,

The kiln that was offered to me (which I have yet to find a place for so it sits at his place, not mine!) has both a timer and humidistat to control the fans. I've heard some kilns use humidistats and some other mechanicals to control vent dampers.

What kind of acrylic sheets are you going to glaze it with- standard corrugated panels from the Borg, or the multi-wall stuff?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeff, Bas pretty much hit the nail on the head. With a solar kiln, you will usually get more degrade and you are not able to precisely control the drying process. Additionally, they don't work well when the temps are cold.

For a hobbiest, they are a great tool. For commercial production in our climate, they do not offer adequate volume or quality control.

Bas's comment about the load size is spot on. However, a pan of water doesn't work very well because it does not evaporate quickly enough at the lower temperatures (130 or so) to raise the RH quickly, or completely enough.

SS

J

jeff...

Bas / Scott thanks for the explanations - the buffer concept is something I can grasp, never heard it explained that way before, it makes a little more sense now. Thanks guys...

I'm really looking forward to seeing Reggie get his to work, I know he can do it.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
BTW Reggie, while you're building the kiln...how about putting in a web cam, temperature gauge and moisture sensors. All hooked up to a laptop with wireless internet connection. We'll get Will to add a little something to the site, so we can all follow what's in the kiln and keep an eye on the humidity/ temperature. We'll ask Alan to build some servos that can be remotely activated to turn the fans on/ off, or even spray water using a sprinkler system to increase the humidity.

We need sirens and flashing lights too. Not sure why, but it would look cool.

Definitely need sirens.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Already leased out some space in the kiln to a friend of mine for fireworks storage. If the temps get too high, we won't need the lights and sirens!!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
:wsmile:Tom and I built the doors today for the kiln. Those suckers are HEAVY! Also sheathed the outside walls today. (No pics, too rainy! Maybe tomorrow after we hang the doors!)

Concievably, we could finish construction tomorrow. Still have to build the baffle that holds the fans. Then comes the part I am REALLY looking forward to: Paint! NOT!
:nah:I absolutely HATE to paint anything! But, I'll either "smear" or spray on a couple coats of flat black when everything dries out, and she should be getting close to ready!
:wwink:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Alan: I plan to use polycarbonate sheets from Lowe's as that's what the plans call for.

Insulating the walls with 3 1/2" batts as prescribed.

I also plan to investigate (at the seminar) the use of humidistats and see what they have to say about the ventilator situation. Right now I have 8 standard foundation vents, but may opt for something different. They can be cut into the sheathing at any time after painting, I think.

:notworthy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS