Software Updates - be on Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I will be making major changes to our software over the next week. What does this mean? Well probably there will times when nothing works, or functionality is broken or goes away, to come back in new form. How long will this be going on at least a few days and perhaps the week.

At this point we have chosen to NOT take the site down, but rather slipstream the changes in. However, if things don't go right. we may be forced to take the site down for an extended period of time.

Some time tomorrow, I will take the system down, just long enough to do a complete backup. Then I will start the process of upgrading the software and bringing the software back a piece at a time. Be patient.

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thank-you Steve for all the work you still do to make this site better everyday.

Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Thanks for all you do, as long as this new upgrade includes the doubletracyp'spostcountdaily.php file:rotflm:. Thanks for your continued hard and endless work.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
The major change of this update will be:

Each time Dave makes a post his post count will be reduced by one.:rotflm:

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Thanks for the heads up...

Question - Why not use a testing server for these updates instead of the "try and die" technique in the live site? Seems you have the infrastructure and knowledge to pull this off ... just a suggestion to avoid these types of outages.

sapwood

New User
Roger

Question - Why not use a testing server for these updates instead of the "try and die" technique in the live site? Seems you have the infrastructure and knowledge to pull this off ... just a suggestion to avoid these types of outages.

:no6xn: No testing required.

Steve is already well-tested :yes4lo:

Thanks, Steve :icon_thum
Roger

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Ought to be an interesting week, to say the least.

Steve, remind me to tell you about the time that a contractor took my network down in Chicago. 1 million people suddenly without their cell phones... customer care really loved my team that day!

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Hey,I ain't been here long enough to complain,so I just keep my yap shut.:crossedlips: hey ya gotta do what ya gotta do :icon_cheers besides I still have about four other places to stir somthin up while you be playin with the keys :rotflm::rotflm:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member

Almost all of this HAS been tested on the test server. Now it is time to move to the real thing.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Steve briefed us techie staff about this at the picnic. Right after food, before dessert.

Its the typical catch 22 of building a test site to mirror production ;-)

We are standing by to help fix anything should the need arrise.

Jim

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Step 1 has taken place. I am bringing the site back up. No major changes yet. Except your profile page is altered. will have to update that and see how it goes. But that will be later.

R

rickc

Step 1 has taken place. I am bringing the site back up. No major changes yet. Except your profile page is altered. will have to update that and see how it goes. But that will be later.

Just a suggestion - perhaps on our profile page, a field similar to "Discount Qualified" could be added to designate "Corporate Member". I heard a couple comments such as "I don't know if I am a corporate member or not."

Again food for thought. Thanks again for all your hard work. I realize you probably don't look at it this way, but as you stood under the pavillion Saturday all that you saw was a direct result of your vision and a reflection of the desire to have someplace fellow woodworkers could go for support and friendship. Good job sir!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Profile page already has that. But it seems to have disappeared from the postbit:BangHead:
Just a suggestion - perhaps on our profile page, a field similar to "Discount Qualified" could be added to designate "Corporate Member". I heard a couple comments such as "I don't know if I am a corporate member or not."

Again food for thought. Thanks again for all your hard work. I realize you probably don't look at it this way, but as you stood under the pavillion Saturday all that you saw was a direct result of your vision and a reflection of the desire to have someplace fellow woodworkers could go for support and friendship. Good job sir!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Thanks for the update Steve. I wasn't online last night, so I missed this thread. Tried to log on this morning and thought I had deleted my account by accident. :swoon: Hey, you never know what can happen on a Monday morning. :dontknow: :rotflm:

Thanks so much Steve, for everything that you do. :thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS