Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice work, Neal. I really like the book-matched dogwood. Roughly, what are the dimensions of this piece? Dogwoods aren't typically very big trees in cross section.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sweet, you’ve been busy. Congratulations on your retirement and I hope see more of your work soon.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice work, Neal. I really like the book-matched dogwood. Roughly, what are the dimensions of this piece? Dogwoods aren't typically very big trees in cross section.
Jim, top to bottom is about 6" & inside the curve to the glue joint I would estimate 3". I have some of the edges I can confirm sizing.

That dogwood was dying so I cut it down and painted the ends to reduce checking/cracking. I have more to work with, not sure what I'll try to turn them into yet.

The cedar was from a barn teardown that belongs to a cousin.

I gave these to some of my teammates today.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
That dogwood was dying so I cut it down and painted the ends to reduce checking/cracking.
It seems to have dried well without cracking. How long did you dry it before using? I cut down one a couple of months ago, intending to salvage some of the wood. Problem was I waited too long and it had begun to rot. Beautiful color and pattern in your piece.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Jim, I just got very lucky with the end results. I cut it down possibly 2 years ago, and have had it stacked in my shop (uninsulated metal building) ever since. I did not think to write the date when I cut it down.

Attachments

• 20220331_065511.jpg
    20220331_065511.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
  • 20220331_065113.jpg
    20220331_065113.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 58
  • 20220331_065133.jpg
    20220331_065133.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice work Neil. Congrats on your retirement. Just remember retirement means you can slow down and you don't have to cram a lot of projects in a small window. Learn to breathe.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Scott, I was on a deadline to get these done before I took a (the last business) trip to Raleigh yesterday

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Nice! I can't figure out the 3 rings. It looks to me like 2 rings and they are offset / different heights. I'm obviously missing something.

Hope you have a nice last day of work today (I think it's today)!

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice! I can't figure out the 3 rings. It looks to me like 2 rings and they are offset / different heights. I'm obviously missing something.
the original design had 4 rings but there were too many gaps when I did the glueup, so the very thin maple is the remainder of that 3rd ring. I didn't do a great job of describing the end result..

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS