Slab shop time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
Well, I finally got a piece of that very think slab I cut last weekend. I slabbed off a thinner section and started sanding on it to smooth it out and try getting it mostly level. Man I sure could use a LARGE sanding/surfacing machine.

It measures 48" at its longest and 36" at its widest.

Closeups of the grain patterns. Some of the chainsaw cuts are still etched into surface but some more serious sanding and about two to three new belts and it should be about ready to start the finishing processes.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Looks good David:icon_thum.Have you ever tried a large rasp before sanding? I used one on some of my large pieces.Helped out alot,and saved alot of belts.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
David - looks like you are coming alone - looking forward to seeing the finish part:icon_thum

Outa Square

New User
Al
I always enjoy seeing your projects and one day i need to make it down the road to seeing/meeting you.

If you plan on doing a lot of those a you can use a router with a planing bit to plane those. A bit like this would do the trick, i am sure there are some better/cheaper choices. The key would be a good size router(hp wise) and planing jig like this one. It's slower than a large planer/sander but it's cheaper. A hand plane would work too, but like everything in wood working there is a 1000s ways to do something; it's what works best for your situation and comfort.

Dragon

New User
David
Thanks for the input and the suggestions. I'm wanting to build up a jig using a sled for a router to help out in situations like these. Still formulating ideas and waiting on some extra funds to accomplish the end results. Cutting through this particular stump did present some intriguing complications. All the clay and mud that was ingrown and imbedded within the cavities ate away the edge on the chains pretty quick. One particular trait of my saw is that once the cutters get dulled, it cuts on a curve and leaves me with some wicked work to do.

I've got two more slabs that I've cut from the original very thick slab that have some issues of their own that I'm going to have to solve. I know I've been posting up a lot of pics and thread about works-in-progress but I promise that soon I'll be putting up some stuff on a couple of tables that have actually been finished and are ready to be used as for-real furniture. It just takes so blasted long for these things to dry out and stabilize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors