Sketchup 3D CAD classes for Woodworkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmorgan1203

New User
Croc
Over the last few years I have amassed a great deal of experience drawing detailed furniture plans, cutlists and material layout drawings with Sketchup. I recently organized my knowledge and developed a course outline to teach basic Sketchup design techniques.

This thread is an attempt to see if there is enough interest in the triangle to begin teaching this skill to woodworkers.

Let me know what you think:rotflm:

Al Millman

New User
Big Al
Croc,
I have started to use Sketchup and have really enjoyed learning the program. It has a fairly steep learning curve and I am sure I am only using a very little bit of what the program can do. I used it to draw a project I was working on for my wife and our craft business. I have a picture of the finished project in my photo gallery. It is the little garden chair. Making the chair off the drawing was very easy and helped every thing come out just the way I drew it. I would love to learn more but the triangle area is to far to drive for me. Good luck, I think if more people used the program they to would like how much time it saves them in putting together their projects. I am just using the free version I understand that the full version is very impressive in what you cam do. This is my first attempt at using a CAD program, I though it was very intuitive for a beginner.:widea:

Big Al

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Excellent idea ... I've found Sketchup to be very easy, but then again I'm probably only using about 3% of it's possible functionality!

M

McRabbet

Croc,

I'm sure you'll find many people in the Triangle area on NCWW that will be more than interested in learning the impressive power in SketchUp -- I know several members from the area have asked me to help them a few times. Once I discovered the importance of components and mastered the basics of the toolset, I found it both a very useful and productive tool for developing designs and showing potential clients a proposed project -- here are a few examples of what I've done with it. It's fun!

The plan:
Bulletin_Board.jpg

The result:
100_4965.jpg

And this one was earlier and not as well done:
Cathers_Final1.jpg

But the outcome was my largest commission:
100_3969.jpg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think that's a great idea. I am fairly good with computers, but completely lack the ability to visualize things in 3D though....don't think that can be taught....

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Sounds like a great idea, I'm very new to Sketchup, even though I've used it a few times and can draw a little bit, I'd love to learn how to use it to really do something better than a box. :eusa_thin

Takarin

New User
Takarin
I think it's a great idea.

If you haven't tried Sketchup, download the free version and give it a shot.

I cut my teeth in 3D with 3D MAX Pro a few years back. If anyone is familiar with that program, they know that the learning curve is STEEP. It's one of those programs that you have to go buy a 7" think book to figure out...

SU is the exact opposite. I guarantee - you'll be designing something in SU in 5 minutes.

I'd be glad to help out any way I can.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I would love to take some classes on it. I am a little far from the triangle but maybe you could make some online video classes.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
This thread is an attempt to see if there is enough interest in the triangle to begin teaching this skill to woodworkers.

I'd certainly be interested in some post-beginner training. I think I've got the basics down. I'm in Raleigh. I have access to our clubhouse for a reasonable price - it has plenty of tables and chairs for a class up to 20 people...maybe more. I can probably arrange a few extra laptops, as well. Don't have access to a projector, though.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS